GEAR RATIO SELECTION

Started by LTM, October 25, 2013, 07:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Quote from: Dynamo on October 25, 2013, 07:28:53 PM
It's only an extra 3/4 spool turn.

The 4:1 may not be a whole lot faster, but its still harder to turn the handle when winching up a nice grouper, or something of that nature. If Im bottom fishing, I go as low as I can. He could use the 4:1 gears, but the standard ratio would, I believe, be better suited to the task.
I like the high speed to get um out of there hole. Once you get a big grouper off the bottom he comes up pretty easy.

saltydog

When I used to run a charter boat in S. Florida we used to grouper gring with jigmaster 500's 3/0 and 4/0 all day without problems. Broschro is right grouper don't need a high speed reel but it doesn't hurt either. Your biggest problem with grouper is turning there head to the surface and having a good rod with the capability to do so. A solid Gator glass 50 to 100# 6'8" rod, a 113H with ss gear sleeve, ss 4:1 gears, ss double dogs a 5+1 carbon fiber dragstack locked down and loaded with 100# braid, 200# barrel swivel, with 6 to 10" of 200# mono weight of the size you need, and a 9/0 to 20/0 very sharp circle hook and any fresh or live bait you need. My favorite big grouper reel was a 9/0 loaded with 130# mono locked down.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on October 26, 2013, 01:44:17 PM
They were .188".  What I need is 11.5ga, 11ga is .120", 10ga is .0188"  I found some that hasn't been annealed in .135" but $150 for a 12"x24" piece is a lot of $ for me.
.120" has too much flex with the cutouts, they might be ok solid. If they're not getting tempered I wouldn't go less than .180"
Alan is selling his for $8 each, I just wish they were of the same length as I mentioned above.
I asked a question about them if they could get some made a little longer, but no answer yet :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I've made them wider and reduced or eliminated the cutouts on the arms for 113 and smaller. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I like the way yours look better, but with the cutouts. If you could make some as I mentioned above, as thick as the 6/0, I would take some.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Sorry Leo, it appears we pulled away from your original question.
I would also say that if you get a longer handle you should be ok with the faster gears, but first see if what you have is working out for you.
Sal

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: LTM on October 26, 2013, 02:06:46 AM
Lee/guys,

Thanx guys for your help. I was thinking of 4:1 if I could find a longer arm/handle.  Im 6'-2" with short arms; Lee can you help me out on this? I need longer arms!

Leo

Leo gonna cost you a lot of dough to pay a surgeon for longer arms.... :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D