Where to get custom rod building supplies in Los Angeles?

Started by sundaytrucka, October 27, 2013, 08:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I do not like ordering things online, prefer picking up things from local suppliers, but finding a place to get rod building supplies in LA has been difficult. I don't mind buying some stuff online, but wanted to ask questions before making my initial purchases on equipment and supplies, and thus the main reason for wanting a brick and mortar location. The only place I have found is Acidrod.com / C&M Custom Tackle in San Dimas, it is not too far from me, but still a two hour round-trip depending on traffic. Most of the tackle shops around Gardena only carry a limited supply of rod components, but no rod building equipment or supplies.

Does anybody know of any shops in LA/South Bay to get rod wrappers, thread, epoxy, and other supplies?

Thanks for any input.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

joel8080

Call the guys at Charkbait in Huntington Beach they might know some or Ken's might know some.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

doradoben

sundaytrucka

Thanks Tunacious, Johnnys has some rod building supplies, and they were very helpful over the phone about what they had in stock; going to check out their store later this week.

You are twisting the dagger...Yo's closed around 2005. I want to buy the store, it still has the signage up, and sit a chair, table, a rod wrapper, then wrap some rods.  :'(

doradoben

LTM

Call Pete @ Just Fishing in Redondo Bch, or T @ Fisherman's Supply in Lawndale near El Camino College.

Leo

sundaytrucka

Thanks Leo.

I actually stopped by Just Fishing yesterday, looking for a 113H dog spring, Baja Fish Gear recommended them when they did not have what I was looking for. I think Just Fishing is going to be my rod supply spot, Pete had five rods on a dryer rack hanging on the wall, and I realized I was in the right place. Nice guy too, answered all my questions.

I will stop by Fisherman's Supply and see what they have; had two rods built there about 13 years ago, but have not been back since.

Thanks again!

-Scott

DaBigOno

Pete @ Just Fishing is awesome.  I love the way he decorated his shop.  I go there just to hang out for a few hours and just talk fishing.

The boys at BFG are also great.  Sam, Matt, Ryan, Ed and Steve are always helpful.

You might want to check out Sav-on tackle in Santa Fe Springs, Orr and Day and Telegraph Road off the 605 fwy.

Also, there is Mac @ Fisherman's Depot on Bellflower Blvd in the city of Bellflower, and

Young's Tackle in La Palma.

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

sundaytrucka

Fisherman Supplies is the place for rod building supplies in the South Bay. Went there, talked to T, and she had everything I needed to get into wrapping. Why did it take me so long to stop by and talk with T?! Located on Redondo Beach Blvd in Lawndale, right down the street from the Galleria Mall; this is the place to go for supplies.

To clarify, Just Fishing by Pete is GREAT for getting a reel serviced, or a rod wrapped, but not for rod wrapping supplies. Just an fyi.

-Scott

Quote from: sundaytrucka on November 01, 2013, 01:31:08 AM
Thanks Leo.

I actually stopped by Just Fishing yesterday, looking for a 113H dog spring, Baja Fish Gear recommended them when they did not have what I was looking for. I think Just Fishing is going to be my rod supply spot, Pete had five rods on a dryer rack hanging on the wall, and I realized I was in the right place. Nice guy too, answered all my questions.

I will stop by Fisherman's Supply and see what they have; had two rods built there about 13 years ago, but have not been back since.

Thanks again!

-Scott

LTM

Scott,

Thats why I stated TALK to them, between the two I new you would have success. However; Pete's is THE PLACE FOR REEL PARTS hands down. Especially some old obscure part, Pete's has it or no one else does.

Leo

heckrazr

Aloha,

Got a great spot if you're ever in the valley.....Fishin' Fools in Granada Hills. I normally go to BFG cuz my pops lives in Redondo. Cruised by Just Fishin after my San Diego trip and chatted for WAY TOO LONG....but have found the inventory and helpfulness a warm welcome at Fishin Fools...(818)360-3371. They are on Chatsworth between Balboa and some other street....
They have grips, guides, epoxy, etc., etc.,

Dave
Maui is where the heart and soul belong.....very soon