Swapping good bits from Penn 850ssm to 850ss

Started by Stuck, November 06, 2013, 09:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuck

The bail roller on my 850ss is causing me some grief even after replacing the bush so what I'm thinking is maybe fitting the rotor from an 850 ssm as these have a bearing in the roller (the bail arm itself isn't swappable as the bail arm pivot points are different). Is this able to be done ?, as I know of a damaged ssm but the asking price is a bit too dear if all that I end up with is a spare spool.

Thanks,
Anthony.

Cone

Anthony, I am 99% sure the rotors won't swap. That's without checking The ssm uses a one way bearing and the ss has a ratchet that fits the underside of the rotor. Have you tried a new line roller bushing? If so and you've cleaned the bail wire and the inside of the roller. You may need a new roller and or a new bail wire.
     Sorry, I see you did try a bushing. Polish the inside of the roller and bail wire where the roller sits. The roller washer also may be bad /bent or missing.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Stuck

I've done all of that. The problem is on the outside of the roller in that it rolls ok with mono leader running across it but as soon as the 50lb braid's on the roller it stops. The easy way would be to order a bail wire assembly for an ssj as they fit straight on but our Aussie Penn service department has no listing for an ssj. Erskine's Reel Engineering in Cairns, Australia, has the ssj conversions for the 950's but nothing for an 850  :(.

Thanks,
Anthony.