Triton BeastMaster 30-50 Two Speed "TT 0121A Pressure Seal".

Started by Potomac Hooker, November 10, 2013, 03:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potomac Hooker

Stepfather was given this reel a few years ago and it did not work when it was given to him. I just took it apart and started cleaning it out to try to figure out what is wrong with it. Ran into something I need a little help making sure of before proceeding to my next issue with it.

In the attached pic you see the Brass Insert in the pressure plate.

On the schematic, (link below), It shows the "TT 0121A Pressure Seal". In the pic the Brass Insert is located inside of the TT 0123A Pressure Plate but on the schematic, it  appears to go on the outside of the pressure plate.

Is the Brass Insert in the picture the actual "TT 0121A Pressure Seal"? Or am I missing the Pressure seal? I am thinking that is the right part and it's just the scale of the drawing of the part on the schematic is throwing me off but I was just hoping to be sure.

http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/multiplier/triton-series/triton-beastmaster-30-50(1989).pdf
No dear, that is not reel grease on your clean towels. (whistle)

:) Jeff

Makule

Think the scale of drawing is off.  Get a drag disk, put it in and see if it works (it should if it's the correct diameters and thickness).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Tightlines667

I think the part you are referring to in the photo is the pressure seal (121A).  It is typically a cork (or plastic..maybe rubber?) ring affixed (externally) to the pressure plate (around the flange), and is responsible for holding the Drag Plate (loosely) to the drag plate.  I believe this allows the drag plate to float somewhat freely allowing for a smoother transition in and out of drag.  This function is also accomplished through the use of the clutch pad plate (124A), and it's soft, silicon pad.  

The most common problem encountered with these BeastMastee reels seems to be that over time (typically 10 years or less) the silicon clutch pad degrades into a goey mess.  I recomend checking the other BeastMaster postings on the forum for ideas.  There is a guy, Glen, in San Diego (ex Shimano reel tech) that specializes in these reels.  There is another guy in AU.  Or you could try ordering the material and cutting your own replacements, as I recently did this past weekend.  Let me know if I can be of any further help.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.