The List!

Started by alantani, November 21, 2013, 11:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Bring one lighter rig for calico bass but the rest will work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

I use my 7' #30 for rock cod, will that work for calico's as well or even lighter than that?

Keta

Quote from: Big Tim on March 17, 2014, 10:40:54 PM
I use my 7' #30 for rock cod, will that work for calico's as well or even lighter than that?

Someone more knowledgeable about calicos can answer better than me, I need to figure out what I'll bring for them too. 

I'm bringing a HXJ Raptor, a MX 2 speed a JX 2 speed and a pile of Penn reels on rods from 25 to 80.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Thanks Keta! I do have a lighter set up buried in the garage somewhere. Guess it's time to clean the garage.

Ron Jones

I have fished for calicos for the last 35 years or more. I've caught a bunch and the overwhelming majority have been with a Mitchel 300 on a Fenwick 12 pound bass rod. It is essentially high vegetation large mouth bass fishing. I am bringing a Newelled Baymaster for live bait and a Sealine X20SHV for artificials. Both will have 20# mono on top of solid braid with a long floro leader if they are line shy.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i'm thinking of using my SX MXJ and BX-500N, all filled with straight mono, as light duty gear. is this good or too much?

Norcal Pescador

Probably can't go wrong with a 12-20 pound rig for calicos. Mono should be fine with a 12 pound fluoro leader.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on March 17, 2014, 11:44:26 PM
Probably can't go wrong with a 12-20 pound rig for calicos. Mono should be fine with a 12 pound fluoro leader.

Would a spinner have any advantages over a real reel?

Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Perhaps the posts on what to bring should be on the all the info you need! board. :-\
Rob

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on March 17, 2014, 11:46:45 PM
Quote from: Norcal Pescador on March 17, 2014, 11:44:26 PM

Would a spinner have any advantages over a real reel?

Could be real handy. I wouldn't go buy one just for the trip, but if I had one (which I do), I might bring it.
Rob

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on March 17, 2014, 11:52:12 PM
Perhaps the posts on what to bring should be on the all the info you need! board. :-\

I won't second-guess alan, but he may start a "Tackle" board just to keep it all in one place as I'm sure it will be a hot topic.
Rob

Keta

Or start a new thread.

Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Keta on March 17, 2014, 11:58:16 PM

Or start a new thread.

x2

Keta

Mark Twain

alantani

welcome to wes tsutsui of san jose, ca, and david hoffmann of gilroy, ca.   we have 24, but we are not done yet.  i need final checks from everyone.  most have send them in already,  got a ton of mail to sort out.  everything needs to be in by april 1st, and then we are committed.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!