Replacing 3 stack Smoothies with 5 stack Carbontex -Question

Started by sundaytrucka, November 26, 2013, 09:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I have a 113H with a 3 stack of old Penn smoothies, I plan on upgrading the washers to a 5+1 CF washers stack.

Will the thinner Carbontex drag washers create a fitment issue, in that they are much thinner than the smoothies and even the HT-100 drag washers? Given, I will be changing to a 5 stack, and adding two metal washers to the stack, so will it even out the size difference in the end.

I have never changed a drag set to CF washers before, and was not sure if it would create some sort of fitment issue relating to tightening the star drag.

Thank you for any input. Hope you understand what I am getting at.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

The best awnser is maybe.
I have done this a few times, when I did my first 113H I needed the longer spacer. I don't know of a way to tell prior to installing the new drags, but most local fishing shops have spacers floating around they'll sell on the cheap.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Add additional washers as needed, you could use carbon fiber washers or metal washers. Anything out of the gear will only be a spacer  anyway.
I don't know which reel you have, check here on page 14:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.msg27326#msg27326
I'm using the 5 washer kit plus one older thick metal washes, that usually does it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundaytrucka

Ok, cool. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

I have the plate on the left, with the smaller diameter hole where the gear sleeve comes through. I am planning on getting a new set of either Carbontex or HT-100's today; have a second 113H I can steal washer from if the spacing dictates so.

Alto Mare

Since you have the plate on the left, don't overdo it with the washers, if you're rubbing on plate, you have too many. As I said earlier, usually what I'm showing above will do just fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the input Ron.

Thank you for the info Sal. I will follow your example on washer layout for the five stack.

I went with the Carbontex drag washers, mainly because they were out of stock on the HT-100 drag washers to compare, but is probably a good thing anyway; posting questions in the SmoothDrag section, then going with HT-100 washers as a result would have been messed up. lol

Very happy with my first ever CF drag washer purchase.  8)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

did you buy the thin metal washers as well? dawn sells them. my 4/0H and PG 541 are 5+1 conversions with said washers...

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Mel B on November 27, 2013, 04:00:14 PM
did you buy the thin metal washers as well? dawn sells them. my 4/0H and PG 541 are 5+1 conversions with said washers...

No, I am not familiar with the thin metal washer you speak of. The pack I bought came with five CF drag washers and one CF washer for under the main gear.

What thin metal washer are you referring to?

Thanks, Scott.

Ron Jones

Scott,
You have to have a metal washer between the CF washers. This means you will need to purchase 2 metal washers to make your 5 stack assuming your old washers are servicable. Smooth Drag sells thin metal washers which lets everything fit together but it seems you need to make up room so I recomend you just purchase 1 jeyed and one tabbed washer and assemble your drag stack.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundaytrucka

Oh ok, I understand now. I read Mel's post and left out the S on washers. Thanks Ron!

Yeah, I am going to take a couple of washers from another 113H I have. The second 113H I am going to convert to 7+1, and will have to buy all new drag washers from Dawn, so I have no problem taking them from the donor.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Alto Mare

So, the pictures that I sent above is not worth a thousand words :-\ ;D.

afj516

If you are going to scavenge washers from the other 113H, it might help to measure the height of the original 3 washer stack in order to make it fit right.  I bought the 114H 5  metal washer set from Dawn at Smoothdrag and it works as expected.   

Whit

Scott:

be very careful about mixing metal washers, if they interface with the carbontex or HT-100 drag material.  The old chrome plated brass washers are sub optimal.  Way better to use all stainless.   Especially with hard fighting pelagics like the yellowtail in your avatar.      If metal to metal, just to take up room, you should be OK

Whit

Rancanfish

Well that was enjoyable.  We had Sal right there showing the way again.

The thread was from 2013. 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.