trolling rod blank (100lb) recommendation

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, December 01, 2013, 09:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i want the blank to be shorter than i am (5'6'), so it has to be around 5'-5'3'. thanks!

Ron Jones

Are you planning on adding a slick but to it Mel? If so, the blank needs to be shorter still.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

All the shortest blanks I know in that test range are 5.5' long. Then add a gimbal and you will be a few inches longer, unless you cut down the blank a bit.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

forgot to mention blank that can be cut to less than my height.

ron, yes with butt and gimbal< my height.

locknut

I have made a bunch of trolling rods using the Calstar Grafighter blanks. There are quite a few that will do what you want depending on the action you are after. Look at the GF755XH/XXH or GF7455XH/XXH if you want shorter cut down the butt by a bit. If you want a faster action (more bend at the tip) go for the 6" option GF760H and cut more off the butt. Here in NZ I use the GF760M for 50lb stand-up and the GF760XH for 80lb both full length they are killer blanks on Striped Marlin. Not the fanciest blanks no super duper carbon etc. but very reliable.

SoCalAngler

Yeah I was thinking Calstar or Seeker. Seekers you have a choice in composites either the Black Steel or the Super Seekers and Calstar you can go all glass in the WC or BWC models and composite in the Grafighters. You may be able to find Seekers West Coast Black Classic blanks thought they are not in production any more and they are a all glass blank.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i guess i have to buy a up to 130 lb and cut it at the tip or an unlimited one. thanks for the replies people.

conchydong

If you are looking for a 100lb class, than I think a 130/unlimited might be a little stiff if you cut it down at the tip. A 80 lb class cut down might work out a little better for 100lb. IMO.

floating doc

Cutting a blank at the tip (for most rods) will drastically change the action of the rod. When cutting a tip, I recommend cutting off very short sections at a time; 1/2 to one inch at most in rods this size.

After each cut, you tape on the tip guide and evaluate the action of the blank before proceeding.

On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to take most or all of the shortening of the blank out of the butt. With heavy rods, taking an inch or two off the butt won't change the action enough to tell, and there's so much reserve lifting power in the blank you'll never miss it. Especially if you're going to use a 130 blank as an 80, this is the only way to go. Trimming the tip on that blank would make the rod feel and function more like an unlimited than an 80, but trimming the butt might get you just what you're looking for.
Central Florida

locknut

I second those sage words cut off the tip with extreme caution. One thing I am sure you have considered in wanting a 100lb rod is how much drag are you expecting to use as opposed to the rod rating. A drag setting exceeding 50lbs is very hard to handle unless you are using the rail or are built like a bull with heaps of experience and technique. The worst thing would be to end up with a rod that is just too stiff that wont work for you.  A bent rod is your friend it wants to straighten itself thus gaining you line a rod too stiff to bend will act like a lever but will be static only helping you as you apply pressure, I hope that makes sense.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i should probably be more specific a rod for a 100 lb top shot x 25-33%= 25-33 lb at strike. makes sense now?  ??? ??? ??? ???

locknut

Ok that makes things clearer. I would then go for an 80lb rated blank, I can only comment on the Calstar as they are what I use and remember rod ratings are a nebulous thing. But I would feel very comfortable with the blanks I mentioned above.  I use the GF760XH rated 60- unlimited for an 80lb trolling stand-up rod and I think its perfect, and the GF 760M rated  40-100lb for 50lb. The best would be to find a tackle store or rod building suppler and bend some blanks. I use 6" blanks for stand-up 80lb and 50lb and love them but some guys like shorter rods. I like the longer rods with a soft top 1/3 which gives you some shock absorption but when you put the acid on the middle 1/3 really put the hurt on the fish. A shorter rod doesn't have the length for the softer tip and can be more unforgiving.

Heathers Marlin

Jeremys Marlin

GF760M 50lb Line

GF760XH 80lb line

GF765XL 30lb line if I was to buid this rod again I would use the GF765L just a bit heavier rated 30-80lb

Hope this helps selecting a rod blank can be a mission

Jeremy

floating doc

Those are beautiful rods!

I agree, it's very difficult to choose a blank from a description and always know what you're getting. Still, that's how I've had to do it for most of the rods I've made. Advice like this with photos is also very good.

I think that it helps to have an idea of how the specific manufacturers rate their blanks. They may not be that consistent between different manufacturers but once you have an idea of how each of them rate their blanks it gets a lot easier.
Central Florida

conchydong

If you like e-glass over composites, the Calstar Baja Boomer blank might work for you.

This info is from Charkbait.

Length-tip-butt-line rating-price

BAJA BOOMER  5 1/2' 14 1.175 60-130  $73.89