New calcutta 101 jdm

Started by fritz1, December 09, 2013, 12:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz1

Hi guys,
I own this reel for about 2 weeks now, and i like it very much.
There is slight issue though. It makes a noise that reminds me on a little motor but a tat deeper.
The bearings a fine, so it might be a centrifugal thing?
Did anyone had this before, especially with a calcutta?
Thank you very much!
Fritz

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

when does the noise start? during a fight, retrieval etc...

fritz1

Hi mel
It feels very smooth and quiet during retrieve. If i spin the handle and push the release button the noise becomes alive :) during the cast as well.
Thx fritz

philaroman

did you buy the reel new, or used?

are you getting good casting distance, despite the noise?

fritz1

Hi,
It was a new one. The casting distance decreased a bit, but it hasnt that much of an effect. I just want it to be quiet :)
Thx

philaroman

some guys intentionally use ceramic spool bearings DRY (no lube at all) for maximum casting distance.  this causes maximum wear (i.e., frequent replacement) & maximum noise at high RPM's, which they tolerate for a couple extra yards on the cast...  personally, I don't get it, but it's done by some.

this should not apply to a new reel, but who knows?  maybe yours is an older model that sat for a decade & "dried up".  maybe you're a victim of an unscrupulous vendor who pulled a bearing swap  >:(

anyway, work a few drops of the thin Shimano oil into the spool bearings.  if you notice an improvement, you should still start looking for replacements in the near future -- yours are compromised, even if they seem fine at low-RPM manual examination.  if the reel still makes the same noise, something else is wrong -- SEND IT BACK!!!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

ok! if you mean the clutch bar (release button) this is what happens, the pinion has not disengaged fully and the gears are slightly hitting each other. i i haven't done it yet but when i have the time i'll measure the pinion's length, maybe it just needs to be shortened. this happens with some of my light gear, especially the very small ones whether baitcasting or round reels. hope this helps... tight lines!

btw i also think the spool is spinning sooooooooo fast that when you push the clutch reaction is too slow for the speed of the spool.  ;)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

what am i talking about? fritz1, let's start all over again. forget my last reply. it has nothing to do with both gears, only with the pinion. if you are talking about after cranking hard and disengaging the clutch so that the spool spins fast this is what happens, the left part of the pinion is still slightly in contact with the left side shaft pin thereby creating the noise you hear. if this is the case try to crank, just enough for the spool to spin fast not supersonic fast, and it's not noisy we are almost there. now do this, crank it hard for it to spin sooooooo fast and then push the clutch bar and hold it and if no noise we have located the culprit. it's the clutch system. if this is what's happening with your reel personally i don't think it's a defect because this happens to all my small reels like Quantum KVD tour Shimano Curado 200E7, Calcutta Conquest and abu C4, Morrum after modding. if not time to get an exchange or refund. hope this helps, tight lines!

btw, have you centered the spool?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

fritz1, let us know if you have figured out what's causing the noise. thanks!

fritz1

Hi guys,
I took it apart again but the noise is still there. I cleaned everything and lubed the bearings as well. You mentioned the balance, which i would think, is only managed by the tenson knob on the left side.? There are some black pads in both sideplates, which feel like rubber and defenetly create more friction, than copper shims in abus. This should be a step up in performance at least.
Ill try to polish the things causing any friction, and let you know then.
Wbr fritz

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

yes, it's the tension knob. tightening it, but leave a slight play, will push the shaft farther from the pinion at free spool. check the shaft pin if has scratch marks.

fritz1

Hi guys,
The shaft pin looks ok. I polished up a few things and oiled all moving parts again.
Now i notice some kind of vibration during freespool. This reel is driving m crazy right now.
Any ideas, beside selling it? :)

Wbr fritz

philaroman

Quote from: fritz1 on December 12, 2013, 06:25:18 PM
Hi guys,
I took it apart again but the noise is still there. I cleaned everything and lubed the bearings as well. You mentioned the balance, which i would think, is only managed by the tenson knob on the left side.? There are some black pads in both sideplates, which feel like rubber and defenetly create more friction, than copper shims in abus. This should be a step up in performance at least.
Ill try to polish the things causing any friction, and let you know then.
Wbr fritz

I'm just going by memory of original Curado, Chronarch, Scorpion Metanium XT, so I could be wrong.

as I recall, the tension knob should have BOTH: a copper disk/shim in direct contact with the tip of the spool shaft AND rubber disk pad behind it...  could it be that simple -- missing copper shim(s)?  ???

fritz1

Hi,
No copper shims installed By shimano. Something more to try?
Thx fritz

philaroman

Quote from: fritz1 on December 19, 2013, 07:40:29 PM
Hi,
No copper shims installed By shimano. Something more to try?
Thx fritz

fix or not fix -- there is no try  <(-_-)>  metal shim in knob Shimano MUST have...  round or square(ish); called "Spool Tension Spacer" or "Cast Control Spacer"; with or without "(A)" after part name