Penn113H & ProGear454/440/441/545/541/YTS - 7+1 Drag System - $39 shipped in US

Started by Bryan Young, December 18, 2013, 06:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

crackerman

He does that to keep us out of trouble with our wives.  ;)
So we dont have to shred it before it makes it inside the house.

CapeFish

Quote from: crackerman on November 11, 2014, 01:46:17 PM
He does that to keep us out of trouble with our wives.  ;)
So we dont have to shred it before it makes it inside the house.

I wish more mail order companies will be so considered  :)

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Got the washers, Bry!
I'll give them a go next week, this week is just to crazy at work.
Thanks again,
Dom

wallacewt

stoked4fishin

Hi Bryan
I've got a 113H (the older style where the drags can be replaced without removing the main gear), and am interested in you 7+1 stack.  A few questions:
1) Do you have any in stock?
2) I have Newell 4:1 gears installed, will your stack work with this reel?
3) Does your stack require special carbon fiber drags?
Thanks
Jeff

Bryan Young

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the drag kit will work with your reel with stock and aftermarket gear sets, such as Newell, Accurate, and Black Pearl.

The drag kit comes with Carbontex washers which replacements can be purchased from SmoothDrag if needed.  They consists of 2 #40 at 1 mm thick and 5 #40 at 0.67 mm thick.  I do sell metal washers at $3 each although separate washers are not in stock at the moment because they are all kitted up.

Thank you,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

stoked4fishin

Bryan Young

Hi Jeff,

I just sent you a paypal invoice. 

Thank you,
Bryan

cazadores

Bryan - I just installed the 7+1 kit in my 113H. With my star buttoned down, I am getting 12# of drag, straight pull off the reel (spool is 2/3 full). On a rod, I am getting 18.5# of drag. I have the +1 under the main gear, i have the carbontex ligthly greased with Cals. The stack is thick carbontex, keyed washer, thick carbontex, eared washer, carbontex, keyed washer, carbontex, eared washer, carbontex, keyed washer, carbontex, eared washer, carbontex, keyed washer, then tension spring drag (18-970), cupped down.  I also have a tension spring (8-349) on top of the spacing sleeve, cupped up. Do I need a longer spacing sleeve? Any ideas?

Chris

Bryan Young

That definitely doesn't sound right.  When you button down the drag, is the star hitting the sideplate?  If not, then quite possible, the last eared washer is above the main gear or line slipping on the spool would be my first two places I'd look.

Shark Hunter

I Think Bryan is right. Your stack isn't tall enough. Put another eared washer on top of your last keyed, then put the tension spring on top of that. Then your spacer and star.
Life is Good!

cazadores

I took it apart and I see the problem. The ear washer channel/grove in my gear stops just above the 2 thick carbons and keyed washer.The first eared washer is not resting on the carbon washer, just slightly above it. When I cranked down the drag, this ear washer bent at the ears as I increased the pressure. So I did a little dremmel work and swapped out the first thin keyed washer for a regular keyed washer. I bent the ears back in shape on the eared washer (and moved it to the top of the stack) and reassembled. Now I am getting 20# of drag straight pull, without being buttoned down. Very nice. Thank you Bryan and Shark Hunter.

Bryan Young