6500 C3 help

Started by bassacre, December 20, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassacre

My reel foot says 01 03 03, I emailed Abu about it they told me its a 2 speed reel and sent me a 2 speed reel schematic. It doesnt have any parts that would make it a 2 speed though? It has an anti reverse dog if that tells you anything. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Young

You may need to read them the numbers in reverse.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bassacre

So I need a schematic for an 03 03 01?

Ken_D

Hi. If your reel was a two speed, it would be burgandy, with a different shaped transmission sideplate.
Pretty much all round 6500 reels from 1999 to 2012 are the same, except for cosmetics.  
Does your reel have the instant anti-reverse, or a mechanical anti-reverse dog, with a ball bearing in the crank boss.

I'm hoping you know the difference between the 2 anti-reverse systems. If your handle stops instantly when cranking backwards, you have IAR. If the handle moves backwards maybe 1/5 of a turn, then catches, you have mechanical anti-reverse.  

Go here, and start looking at 99-02, on up.   http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/ProductData.cfm?id=Abu Garcia  99-02 to mean the first four numbers of the drawings depicted.

bassacre

It has an anti reverse dog.

Ken_D

bassacre

Woo, thanks a lot. Now I have another question is the main gear, the brass one, supposed to snap onto the shaft and stay there?

Ken_D

You may have this model. Note the hand-written notes to get rid of that rather impractical one leaf dog.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_6500C_99-05.pdf

Ken_D

Quote from: bassacre on December 20, 2013, 08:25:23 PM
Woo, thanks a lot. Now I have another question is the main gear, the brass one, supposed to snap onto the shaft and stay there?

Hello. It's a tight friction-fit to the driveshaft. Ensure you place a small dab of grease at the contact point of the gear, and the driveshaft. If you leave it dry, a running fish will heat up the gear, and driveshaft, and cause it to freeze to the driveshaft. Not a pretty result. When I was a beek, (noob),  I did that, and was very embarrassed when the sport told me I'd caused him to lose a fish.

bassacre

So if I hold the gear shaft and try to spin the gear it should or should not spin freely?

Ken_D

Quote from: bassacre on December 20, 2013, 08:36:52 PM
So if I hold the gear shaft and try to spin the gear it should or should not spin freely?

Hi, it needs to spin freely. If you've taken it off already, and went to put the gear back, there's a spot just before
it seats, that it gets a bit stiff. Put the gear all the way down, and note the spot where contact is made with the driveshaft. Pull it back up, as that's where a _little_ dab of grease goes. If you overgrease, the drag washer inside the gear will get contaminated. The one between the main, and the driveshaft always gets gooped.

Bryan Young

I will usually use Cal's drag grease where Ken is referring to so that there isn't any contamination issues.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

If your asking this question, I'm thinking you are having a hard time taking the main gear off the drive shaft. Hold the drive shaft and twist the gear as you pull it off then file the burs down. That's what is making it hard to remove. As was mentioned earlier, a bit of grease or lightly oil the gear when you put it back on.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Ken_D

Persuant to LL's observations above, the only burs I have ever seen on the driveshafts would be way up top at the threaded portion where the slot is cut to allow the handle to rest upon. Now and again they flare, making a bur. Are those the ones, Larry?  When there, they are so obvious I neglected to mention them, glad you did.