Stradic line roller bearing?

Started by DEA, December 22, 2013, 09:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEA

Hey fellas, what's the benefit of adding an extra bearing to the line roller?

Thanks!

Will

philaroman

1) you want to pretend you have a Stella
2) you happen to have an extra bearing; don't want to loose/misplace it; and want a good place to keep it, so you always know where it is
3) you like pondering which of the two is a little slow & needs to be replaced

:D :P ;D

seriously, if you have room for two bearings, the roller would be more stable, but it would only rotate as freely as the worse of the two would allow...  also, if you have older single-shielded bearings, it might be a good idea to stack two w/ shields facing out

Dave Bentley

I'm curious know which model you are referring to, I fish a 2500 FJ and there is no room for a 2nd I can see.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

philaroman

Quote from: Dave Bentley on December 23, 2013, 06:20:57 AM
I'm curious know which model you are referring to, I fish a 2500 FJ and there is no room for a 2nd I can see.

You have Power Roller III

I'm sure it can be done w/ the bigger, older Power Roller I & II (Stradic FA - FG).

DEA

Here's a link fellas:

If you look at the schematics the liner roller set up uses the same parts in same sizes through various models.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/881123/stradic-5000-fj-stealth-upgrade-another-winter-project

I just want to know if there any real world noticeable advantage, at least, in the freshwater for sub 50lb fish (steelhead and salmon).

Thanks!

Will

philaroman

Aside from getting a Stella line-roller for braid, I don't like ANY of that bearing-happy guy's "upgrades" or his lack of detail.  On the other hand, if your stock bearing is as skinny as the ones he has pictured, I'd be concerned about line-roller stability...  maybe good enough for Bass, but not SW/Salmon-worthy.  I'd be looking for a single more robust bearing -- doubling up the skinny ones would be the next best option.

whalebreath

I've used Stradics-older ones and now FJ's for Salmon in both salt & freshwater for years now with no upgrades necessary.

Trolling Bucktails, throwing jigs, spoons, spinners never any issue.

johndtuttle

Bearings versus bushings are a double edged sword. Bearings will reduce rolling friction, but you have also introduced another something expensive to go wrong without meticulous service and in the case of line rollers a drop or two of Corrosion-x nearly every outing.

Under highest drag/cranking loads bearings pretty much are always better, just not remotely required to land your average fish the reel is designed for.

Example: Penn is selling more Jigmasters and Squidders and 704Z to Kayakers than ever before as they use brass bushings in many areas that more modern designs have long since added multiple bearings. The Bushings hold up better in the harsh yak conditions but then the yakkers are not fishing over the largest models (generally speaking) and don't need the small advantages that bearings provide (ie better casting distance and cranking power under load) versus reliability.

If you take good care of your line roller you will likely never have need of additional bearings. If you neglect it, it can freeze up in a week. If you look at the Stradic 8000FJ service tutorial on this site you will see that Shimano has made regular application of lube even easier with an oil port  on the bail arm. This should give you some insight to how important regular lubing is to maintain proper function.

best