Shimano Saros 4000F service tutorial

Started by fisher480, January 03, 2014, 12:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisher480

My first one. This reel came to me from a friend. It was all functional but very dry inside which is typical of a lot of new reels I see. Anyway see how it looks.

I like the Sahara, Symetre, Saros range. They look a better propect than say a comparable Spheros or Saragosa. The Saros has the Paladin gear set, weatherproof seal on the drag and the screw in handle. Basically one down from the FI series Stradic. I know quite a few people with these and they are very reliable reels.

Firstly start with the basic disassembley

fisher480

The first thing to check are those screws holding the gear to the shaft. This is a problem with this style of gear. If you own a Shimano with a Paladin gear set then checking them can avoid damage.

fisher480

Remove the screws one at a time and loctite them in. This eliminates the problem for good.

fisher480

Internal design is quite straight forward with the exception of an idler gear between the oscillation gear and the secondary gear on the main shaft. Otherwise nothing out of the usual.

fisher480

One area I think is let down on these and the Spheros, Saragosa 4000's is the oscillation gear. No bearing or bushing. I worked on a 4000 Spheros and the oscillation gear was wearing the housing due to it's poor finish.

See below.

fisher480

The fix for this one is to polish the gear and the oscillating cam face with 1200 grade emery paper to a mirror finish. I was amazed at the improvement to the smoothness of the reel.

fisher480

The gearbox section is now back together. I removed all bearing shields and relubed with Inox MX6. Corrosion X was the only other lube used.

fisher480

On to the rotor. The line roller bearing is the first bit. I was able to get the shields off this bearing so it was packed with Inox MX6 grease.

fisher480

With the rest of the bail arm section lubed up it is time to look at the handle. The Saros has a bearing in the handle. I find that these bearings are often over looked and as most of my fishing is saltwater I prefer bushes in the handles of my reels. Anyway these have them so a good dose of Corrosion X is in order.

fisher480

Finally I like to provide a grease seal around the shaft entrances of the reel. This stops saltwater ingress as shown below. I also liberally lubricate the main shaft under the spool.

Hope this is some help to someone.

fisher480

Back together and smooth as silk again. I did forget to mention the drag system. I retained the standard felt drag and re oiled it.

johndtuttle

fisher480

I have just done a second Saros 4000F for the same guy. Same issue with the Paledin main gears. Removed the screws and Loctited them in.