Shimano Trinidad TN12 Problems !

Started by Drisse, January 05, 2014, 01:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hello !

I have a teared down Shimano Trinidad TN12 reel on the bench. Its quite worn, but I think its gonna be a working reel again.

Before I took it apart I noticed that it felt odd when I was cranking. I could move the whole drive shaft quite much around. My first guess was a big failure with some of the ball bearings or the roller clutch bearing. ? When I opened the reel I saw that seat for the Roller clutch bearing on the right side plate is a bit loose. Its attatched to the side plate by 2 rivets, and those are loose. Anyone who knows if its possible to fix this without buying a new side plate ? Maybe replace the rivets with small screws and nuts ?

Roller clutch bearing sometimes fail, upgrade the pawl with a spring loaded pawl like on bigger Trinidad/Toriums ?

Ball Bearing TGT0485 under drive shaft, is it possible to replace this by a bushing ?
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/01TN_12_v1_m56577569830570260.pdf

Borrowed picture from josa1 thread. Hope its ok ?

Thanks in advance !

Drisse

Seems like its not possible to upgrade the pawl on this one, or Shimano has come up with some new parts ?

conchydong

You might be able to drill of the heads of the existing rivets, remove them and re-rivet the plate back on. Small screws would also work if you don't have a rivet gun.

Tile

Two  M3 countersunk screws and a pair of acorn nuts will do a fantastic job of stabilizing the roller bearing holder.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Drisse

Ok, thanks alot for the advices. I think I'll go with screws and maybe locking nuts.

Anyone who know the Trinidad reels have any clue about my other questions ?

Tile

The bearing can be replaced with a bronze bush and the dog spring upgrade can be done.
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

i would carefully "re-peen" these rivets to tighten them up again.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Tile: Ok, sounds great. Do you know which parts I need to upgrade the dog spring and which bushing I need ? We can't order spareparts direct from the Shimano distributor here in Sweden. Everything has to go through a Shimano dealer. And all my local dealers don't have a clue about spareparts etc. So its easier for me as a private person to get spareparts from abroad.

Alan: I don't really know what "re-peen" means ? Wasn't a word in my school english :) I think it means something like hit them with a hammer :) . Don't you think its better with small screws and nuts ?

Thanks alot for the help :)

MFB

Grab a centre punch place it roughly in the centre of the rivet & give a tap with a hammer, this will slightly spread the head of the rivet. Repeat if need until they're tight.

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

josa1

Hey guys,    Use any of my pictures at any time.   We're here to enjoy ourselves and to fix problems, and hopefully on occasion, catch a nice fish or two.  Josa1

alantani

Quote from: MFB on January 06, 2014, 01:00:01 AM
Grab a centre punch place it roughly in the centre of the rivet & give a tap with a hammer, this will slightly spread the head of the rivet. Repeat if need until they're tight.

Rgds

Mark 

exactly!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Had a look at a couple of other Shimano schematics and saw that there's a a couple of models with bushings at the end of the driveshaft. Anyone who knows if there's one who fit the Trinidad TN12 ? Also looking for the handle nut plate. Bothers me that we have such a lousy Shimano service here in Sweden.....

The bearing size at the end of the drive shaft is 5x9x3mm (SMR 95 ZZ 5x9x3)

CapeFish

that sounds like the same size as the bearing that the larger models take so just look for a torium bushing but you will have to grind away the two ears to make it fit flush. I have a few lying around if you can't get hold of one in Sweden I can post you one but it will take a while to get there I am a bit far from you :-)

Drisse

Thanks alot CapeFish ! Just got an answer from Bryan. He also thought he had one. But if he can't find one I'll send you a pm.

jonathan.han

Unfortunately, the TN12s don't accept the Trini TE spring dogs. The only thing you can do is to replace the AR bearing and make the "eared" Amassadeur style dog is snugly pinching the AR ratchet. The TN12s are a great reel for drags under 10lbs and are limited by their spool capacity.
raw instinct