Penn 7500ss rotor wobble - left/right play

Started by CroMonty, January 05, 2014, 10:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CroMonty

I have couple of these reels and one of them has significant rotor wobble or better say left to right play when you hold rotor and move it left-right in place.
Reel I'm refering on has all brass bevel cut old style gears and this 'play' of pinion/rotor exists from the first day on brand new reel.
Is this mainly due to the fact that pinion is supported in only one spot or we are talking about occasionall sloppy made reel?!
I saw numerous users of these reels across topics with quite impressive collections and I'd like to know how often does this problem occur on SS models?!

Tnx
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception! :)

MFB

Without putting a dial gauge on it my 7500SS (more red baron photo's coming soon) would have about 1-2mm play or float. My 8500SS has about 2-3mm (bigger rotor). I would consider this normal, you could try replacing the pinion & main shaft bushings & see if it makes any difference. Penn's spinners are not precision reels like Shimano's. They're an old reel produced on old technology machinery so tolerances are greater than new model reels. That said the design is simple, reliable, with a minimum of moving parts & easy to service yourself.

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

CroMonty

Tnx Mark

I also have couple of 704Z's and they don't have as nearly amount of play in rotor like SS's do.
I guess pinion on 704Z's is much better supported in two spots so it can't 'play' as much arround main shaft under pressure.
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception! :)