Recommendations for a casting rod to pair with a Penn Longbeach

Started by Legal Bill, January 12, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legal Bill

I've decided I'm ring to try to learn how to cast a conventional reel.  I'm using a Penn Long Beach for this exercise.  Please let me know what rod would work well with this reel for casting.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Legal Bill on January 12, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
I've decided I'm ring to try to learn how to cast a conventional reel.  I'm using a Penn Long Beach for this exercise.  Please let me know what rod would work well with this reel for casting.
i think Penn slammer surf rods would be good and affordable.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Legal Bill on January 12, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

A bit off topic but if you remove 50' of line more than you are casting, put tape around the spool and wind the line back on it will save you hours of frustration.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Their are a lot of Penn Long Beaches, what is the model number of your reel? I really really like the Torque surf rods, where will you be casting from?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Legal Bill

Thanks Bryan.

Keta, what a great piece of advice.  I think you just saved me about 10 hours of picking out bird's nests.

noyb72, this will be from a boat 90% of the time.

SoCalAngler

Legal Bill

Ron Jones

We still need to know what size Longbeach. A Longbeach 60 is totally different than a 66-68. If you are casting 20# then I'm guessing your using the 60. A medium-fast 8ft. rod rated for 20# would be good unless you are on a smaller boat and the rod is to long. If you are looking for an inexpensive option I like the Tiger-lite rods. If you are willing to spend a little more then I really like the Seeker in shore rods, but their are literally hundreds of rods in this class so the more detailed information you can give us the better.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Legal Bill

It is a 65.  Sorry for the delay in answering your question.

Ron Jones

I really like the light Seeker for that size reel. Although a 25 pound 7-8ft Sabre would be vintage appropriate.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Ron Jones

I could be mistaken, but that looks like a newer production Sabre that was not made by the California tackle company. I am certain it would be a perfectly serviceable rod, but from what I understand the actions aren't as nice and casting is what the original Sabre boat rods were all about.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

doradoben

The rod in your auction link may be the same as the ones sold by Big 5 Sporting Goods. You may want to have a look if you live near one..

Newell Nut

I think you want he honey colored ones. I bought two of them this week which are 20-50 Sabre Strokers with a soft tip for casting and when I put a reel on each I easily lifted a 15 lb dumbbell for a test.

SoCalAngler

Don't know if you picked up a rod yet or not? If not look at a look at a Calstar 800 XLH but 20 lb is max for that rod or go with a 800 L, this is what I use for a 20lb test rod and you could bump it to 25lb if needed. These are composite rods and are more pricey than all glass. If looking for all glass look at a Calstar 270-8. Also Seeker makes great rods check out a Super Seeker 270-8, Black Steel 270-8 for composites and in glass a West Coast Black Classic 270-8 or their Pinhead line D8.

As you can see I listed all 8' rods. I think you can cast 8 foot rods very far with little force. Go slow and practice.