Recommendations for a casting rod to pair with a Penn Longbeach

Started by Legal Bill, January 12, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

The vast majority of competitive casters use conventional reels. It is like driving a station wagon or driving a Corvette on a track. It is easier to drive the wagon, but the Corvette has much more potential once you learn to unlock it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

OldSchool

Quote from: Keta on January 12, 2014, 09:14:02 PM
Quote from: Legal Bill on January 12, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
I've decided I'm ring to try to learn how to cast a conventional reel.  I'm using a Penn Long Beach for this exercise.  Please let me know what rod would work well with this reel for casting.

A bit off topic but if you remove 50' of line more than you are casting, put tape around the spool and wind the line back on it will save you hours of frustration.

This is a fantastic idea although knowing what will happen if you don't get it right is also good incentive to get it right.

Legal Bill stick with it, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from casting an overhead that isn't there when you throw a spinner...you just get addicted to that whizzing noise that spool makes.

Legal Bill

I'm wondering about the chrome plated spool.  It's heavy and seems to have a lot of inertia to overcome.

Legal Bill

Well, I think I'm now on the right track.  The trick was to use a MUCH larger lure than waht I was practicing with.  I had a small 1/2 to 3/4 oz metal lure and it just could not overcome the inertia of the spool before it was heading straight down into the water.  So I changed to some 6 to 8 inch wooden plugs and off they zoomed into the distance.

So my "tip" to a new-be like myself is to start with fairly large plugs.  They really help you get the feel of casting a conventional reel.