Guide size

Started by Topshot, January 16, 2014, 05:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

We'll I need to order some guides for my new blank. I'm not sure of sizing. I'm going to be doing an acid wrap on this rod. What size guide do I need for the first one. Would a 20 work or should I go with a 25. The set I was looking at was 20-16-16-12-10-8-8
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Topshot

And they are pacific bay bbhg boat guides
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Bryan Young

I have never done an acid wrap, but have seen several and your stripper guide size and height, I believe, is based on the number of guides used for the transition from one side of the blank to the other.  Which has been as little as 0 and as many as 4.  Note that the rod that had 0 transition guides used this space age material, and as I have been told, is very similar to the internal material in the interline fishing rods.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dynamo

What reel is the rod intended for?

Topshot

It's for a 9/0 at the moment. I'm going to be running straight 80lb mono with Dacron or braid backing. I was doing some research and I found that most larger acid wrap rods have a stripper guide at 0 degrees with 2 transition guides one placed at 60 degrees and the other places at 120 degrees. And then 4 guides on bottom.
I think I decided to go with Pac bay BRBHG turbo guides with the guides seated backwards so there is no chance of any line touch. I'm gonna go with a 20 for a stripped guide and 2 16s for transition guides and 4 12s along the bottom with matching tip top. These are the guides I decided on
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Details.aspx?virdir=boat-rod-guides&itemNo=280554&rewrite=180
Does that sound good??
Michael Baughman

Topshot

This is what inspired me. See how the guides are facing backwards

Michael Baughman

Dominick

Chris:  That is one gorgeous rod.  Keep up the good work.  One of these days I will get started doing rods.  Thanks again for your recent help.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dynamo

That does sound good, and I'd go w. the size 25.

day0ne

If you are using 80 lb line, I wouldn't go smaller than a 12 and definitely not an 8. You will need knot clearance. The turned around 1st guide is for spinners. It seems to help wind knots. The K series guises make this unnecessary. There isn't any use for it on a conventional, unless using turbo guides on an acid wrap, whish I wouldn't. With a 9/0, I would probably go a 25 stripper guide and would use something that is tall. The guides on the rod in the picture look like Fuji CHBNG series guides and are cheaper than the Pac Bay guides and IMHO, a better guide. Go to acidrod.com and talk to Collen or Mark. They can help you a bunch
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

RTT

Hello Topshot

I recently build a acid wrapped, however mine was an inshore use.  I got some really good advice; take your time when placing the guides.  That is place the guides, bend the rod, adjust, repeat, bent the rod more and so on.  It took me 4 hours to get the guide placed just right.  The payoff is that the 7 foot Lami with a small Avet can toss 3 ounces 60+ yards.  The static mags help a lot.   You may also check out rodbuilder.org.  Good luck on you build.

Ray

Cone

I don't build rods so take this for what it's worth. I used one with the stripper guide at about 10 degrees or so. You only had to worry with pushing the line in one direction. The offset guide naturally pulled the line to the other side of the spool.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

All of mine only use one transition guide.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jeri

Hi Topshot,

A couple of things about your plans.

For sizing on an 80lb class rod, I would suggest that you start with size 25, and progress down to no lower than a size 12, probably a set 25, 20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 12 ; and maybe consider a final size 10 in the set, though it might be too small for some of the leader knots that you are going to use. Finish off with a size 12 tip. The height of the 25 ring will be more balanced with the size of reel that you are likely to be using on this rod.

The point about reversing the rings is a problematic one, as the tendency is to slightly stiffen the blank action more forward than with the rings in normal orientation. I have done this in the past, just across the lower rings on a rod, to overcome a slightly softer action in the mid section of a rod. Reversing all of the rings will have a stiffening effect on the whole blank – that is something to consider.

Another point is that in Fuji rings – specifically the Alconite series, the ceramic rings are in a cup, and this is to support the ring inserts against pulling out, especially with knots passing through the rings – reversing such rings then negates this original design – likewise with PacBay's version of that style of ring – the Deep Pressed Aero rings. We have seen a rod manufacturer down here, that thought that such a design of a rod with reversed rings would be a great idea, and after the first summer season, we saw what we expected, a lot of rods in for repair, where the inserts had been pushed out from the glue holding them in place.

I personally would opt for Fujis on a major project, though they might cost a little more, they will certainly outlast the rod, others are less than long lasting. It comes down to the quality of the materials used in manufacture. One of our suppliers has a slogan:

"The bitterness of poor quality remains, long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!"

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri