Started by Legal Bill, January 17, 2014, 03:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

John I've never noticed that on my 113hlw
Grayson Lanier

johndtuttle

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on January 19, 2014, 12:00:29 AM
John I've never noticed that on my 113hlw

Try it again maybe, then compare to a Penn Int 50 that is milled from a solid billet. I may have exaggerated a tad for effect but the point is if you feel *any* flex the reel is getting close to it's max before failure (which meets my criteria for ready to 'splode :)).

When you crank under heavy load also look at your gear shaft and you will see clearly noticeable flexing as the bridge is simply not supported in a material that is as rigid as solid aluminum.

That's why a Int 50 is so heavy. To prevent all of the above and fish 25lbs of drag utterly reliably.

When you hammer the drag down on a 113h you have reached what the Penn Engineers think the entire package is engineered to fish reliably for years. That is what I was talking about when I said "decades of real engineering training". These products are not made by seat of the pants guesstimation but by calculation of forces, an understanding of materials and a chosen level of performance for the price.

When we tank up our 113's we are essentially re-inventing the Baja Special 113HN mod by mod. Take a careful look at that design and you will see everything already incorporated and refined with even a little more in the casting department.  When you have a basic understanding of every change in the 113HN design from a stock 113H you will grasp everything the tank process is doing. :)

Unfortunately Penn does not make them in anything other than that one size and gear ratio. :(

Best

Bunnlevel Sharker

I pump and wind, use mine locked down on rays and sharks. But then again your comparing 115 bucks to 600 ;)
Grayson Lanier

surfcaster

I have Had more than my share of the "One that got away" too. never had any of my 113h reels blow up ,
over it .I must have been  fortunate all these years to break off first . The Bottom line It is a great reel
you can get one used for 50 bucks ,easy to maintain & the sky is the limit on upgrades. Gotta remember to set the drag too
when fishing.

BMITCH

John good point. Try putting 20# of weight on any reel and hold onto it for say...20 mins. This is an EXTREMLY hard thing to do.
luck is the residue of design.

erikpowell

Same thing that happened to Lee, happened to me too......at 27lbs... strike was set at 21lbs

we got the fish though.. 137lbs

BMITCH

erikpowell

Keta

Quote from: erikpowell on January 19, 2014, 02:37:37 AM
Same thing that happened to Lee, ....

It wasn't me, my big reels are metal framed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

That was a nice Allison, Ahi, Yellowfin, Thunus albacares, or (Kahada) Majuro, if you prefer :)
and I thought it was supposed to be fun catching big fish on 'light' reels. 
Well done!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Legal Bill,
When ever you are ready to upgrade your reels, I will be more than glad to help. Every one has their own opinion of things on here. I just wanted to make sure you feel Welcomed. ;D Not scared away by all the fluff. ;)
Life is Good!

shellbank99

Legal Bill,
I sold my Baja Specials and now just use my Tanks. If u don't want 2 do all the work get some Baja's. They are solid reels. I just love my tanks, they are kinda like my favorite gun. I bought new fancy stuff but I found myself always picking up that same gun when hunting season started. Same with the tanks, ole reliable. If u want a killer bottom setup use a tank mounted on a ugly stick tiger jigging rod.
Respectfully,
Troy

BMITCH

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 19, 2014, 03:38:49 AM
That was a nice Allison, Ahi, Yellowfin, Thunus albacares, or (Kahada) Majuro, if you prefer :)
and I thought it was supposed to be fun catching big fish on 'light' reels. 
Well done!

Tightlines, I thought when you get a large YFT with sickle type fins this was referred too as an Allison? At least that's what we call them up here in the NE.
Bob

Shark Hunter

Is that you holding up that Allison Eric? Looks like two 40 ouncers of Old English sitting on the Dock. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I grew up fishing in Beemuda and we borrowed alot of fishing-related terminology and technology from the NE so I am indeed partial to using the term 'Alison' to describe mature YFT.  IGFA likes the term too.  We used the term 'little tunny' to describe all the smaller tuna species except Blackfin even though there is really only 1 true Atlantic 'Little Tunny' species.  We called Dolphinfish 'Dolphinfish' as is proper w/regards to their accepted common name, and we even had 'Sea Robbins'. Though this is by no means related to this 'bait fish's' true common name.  Most times regional fish terminology seems to lump groups together under one name, particularily hawaiian names (I.e Ahi(YFT,BFT,BT,Alb) Kahala(yellowtails,almacos,and greater amberjack),Ulua, and many others.  I kinda like east coast saltwater terminology the best, though Japanese terminology is prob the most universal world-wide.  When in Rome....
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.