Thru wire? Why bother?

Started by erikpowell, January 18, 2014, 02:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

I was guesting on another board & stumbled upon this question...
Didn't really see any answers that satisfied me, so I thought I'd share & give my 2 cents over here among friends.  ;D

Sometimes a new lure was only meant to catch 1 fish

Chalk up one victory for thru wire
;D ;D

Bryan Young

Through wire is the only way to go.  Better to loose one lure to damage than to loose the catch of your life.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

I would rather destroy a lure than loose the fish.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Tightlines667

Back in the early to mid 90s we used to catch alot of YFT trolling 2 Rapalas on down riggers around rigs.  This was pioneering at the time, and became popularized after severel write ups in the saltwater fishing mags.  The yellowfin would destroy the bait, and would have been uncatchable if not for the through wire set up.  We also replaced the trebles w/duel Mustad tuna hooks.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

erikpowell

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 18, 2014, 02:37:48 AM
Through wire is the only way to go.  Better to loose one lure to damage than to loose the catch of your life.

Thats a buddy from AK who stopped by a few years ago..that GT was a fish of a lifetime for him!
The lure is still on the wall here. maybe i should send it to him  ;)

Chris Gatorfan

I have always wanted to catch some GT's. Heard they give one heck of a fight. Beautiful fish by the way.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Tightlines667

They are beautiful fish and do fight as hard as you might expect from the body form.  I remember it taking 3 of us to pull a 100lb hot fish in on a hand line, unbelievably strong.  I tagged and released a whole bunch of these fish onboard commercial fishing vessels in the NWHI, up there we tried to 'avoid' them because they are so numerous and they trash the gear.  Down in the main hawaiian islands they are a highly prized trophy fish.  He should be proud of his catch.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SacFly

Nice pics and a beautiful fish.  That lure would be hanging on my wall for sure!

floating doc

Quote from: SacFly on January 18, 2014, 04:57:04 PM
Nice pics and a beautiful fish.  That lure would be hanging on my wall for sure!
that's the first thing I thought when I saw that photo.  I would frame a shot of the fish, then mount the lure on the frame.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Bula Erik.  No, No, No, take it off the wall and fish it.  Lures like that catch fish when they are damaged.  They move in unique ways and give off vibrations that attract fish.  If you are not going to use it, I'll buy it from you.  That lure will still kill fish. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

erikpowell

Quote from: Dominick on January 18, 2014, 07:46:54 PM
Bula Erik.  No, No, No, take it off the wall and fish it.  Lures like that catch fish when they are damaged.  They move in unique ways and give off vibrations that attract fish.  If you are not going to use it, I'll buy it from you.  That lure will still kill fish. 

Come on...really Dom?  :D because now I'm feeling like I should really send it... some of the guys comments are making me feel guilty  ;D

Dom, that thing is completely disemboweled, I doubt it would even track or stay underwater... But I totally understand your reasoning..

I had this one Yozuri Marauder the wahoo just couldn't resist... beside others of the same, THIS one always got bit first... the more hammered it got, the faster it would hook up again and again til there was no paint left, just jagged orange plastic....it even cracked through the middle and we joked about it breaking it's spine for better action. It continued to catch fish...

a whole season it lasted..3-4 hook changes and probably a dozen wire leader changes
I knew when we got home from that last trip, that one was going right to the wall of fame.
But we couldn't resist throwing it back in for that "just One More!"
and Boom... it was gone forever.   
Acckkk!!  I still kick myself thinking of that  ;D

coralsea

What method was used to catch that fish? I mean jig or trolling?
no pain-no gain

erikpowell

that was on a fast troll along the reef edge.