Thru wire? Why bother?

Started by erikpowell, January 18, 2014, 02:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I have a purple Marauder that has been chewed up by denizens of the deep.  The more teeth marks it has the better it gets hit.  "It takes licking and it keeps on fishing."  (with all due respect to Timex)
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

erikpowell

Yep, nothing beats a Marauder when it's wahoo time!

coralsea

Could you write about the troll speed please?
no pain-no gain

MFB

Nice fish Erik, I hope to get back over to Fiji one day & have a crack at popping for them.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

erikpowell

Quote from: coralsea on January 19, 2014, 06:48:44 AM
Could you write about the troll speed please?

well this was a few years ago and no instruments on the boat but I'd have to say 12-13 knots.... on the fast side.
A general rule of thumb here is to go as fast as your trolled lure will allow.

GT's can be quite finicky though especially with poppers, sometimes preferring  a real slow presentation with big pops and long pauses, and other times a speedy rip across the surface. Can be either way.

But if you're trolling for them, you want to be moving fast.... and hanging on tight  ;D

Thanks Mark! I'll certainly help steer you towards some when you make it back

Cheers

Gadget

Lures that swim in strange ways get nailed.many years ago when I lived in Broome we were experimenting making our first swim baits from a variety of different timbers.One we made from a mangrove tree branch with a bend in it (thinking we could just put a bib in a save a whole lot of timber machining to get a bend in the lure blank) well it was poo brown in colour and just flatly refused to swim any which way we tried  BUT It would kinda scoot left and right and roll around and you couldn't pull it more than a yard through the water without it getting blitzed. We nicknamed it the dog turd.
and it accounted for more barra,GT's and other assorted fish that i could poke a stick at.It now holds pride of place in my workshop.Through wire though was not the way .Just a hole on the angle twist the wire and then poke the twisted end through till it came out the back and 24 hr araldite glue held everything together.
We onlt had primitive hand tools to work with at the time (LATE 1970'S
The funny thing is that they now mass produce similar surface walking lures but they still don't have the same action as the DT.
;D
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

Dominick

Quote from: Gadget on February 05, 2014, 03:52:32 AM
Lures that swim in strange ways get nailed.many years ago when I lived in Broome we were experimenting making our first swim baits from a variety of different timbers.One we made from a mangrove tree branch with a bend in it (thinking we could just put a bib in a save a whole lot of timber machining to get a bend in the lure blank) well it was poo brown in colour and just flatly refused to swim any which way we tried  BUT It would kinda scoot left and right and roll around and you couldn't pull it more than a yard through the water without it getting blitzed. We nicknamed it the dog turd.
and it accounted for more barra,GT's and other assorted fish that i could poke a stick at.It now holds pride of place in my workshop.Through wire though was not the way .Just a hole on the angle twist the wire and then poke the twisted end through till it came out the back and 24 hr araldite glue held everything together.
We onlt had primitive hand tools to work with at the time (LATE 1970'S
The funny thing is that they now mass produce similar surface walking lures but they still don't have the same action as the DT.
;D
Gadget send it to Salty to make a mold of it.  He will send it back.  Salty are you with me on this?  I will try one out in Baja in June.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

I'm in just PM me and I'll send you my address. I always like new lures.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

LTM

Erik,

I too had a purple Marauder that Hoo's just loved and darn near distroyed, UNTIL one last troll.  GONE!!  Decades ago I was taught to hand pick my jigs.

Leo

Dominick

Quote from: saltydog on February 05, 2014, 05:26:48 PM
I'm in just PM me and I'll send you my address. I always like new lures.
Salty:  I knew this would get your juices flowing.  Dominick

Dominick

Quote from: LTM on February 06, 2014, 01:36:30 AM
Erik,

I too had a purple Marauder that Hoo's just loved and darn near distroyed, UNTIL one last troll.  GONE!!  Decades ago I was taught to hand pick my jigs.

Leo
C'mon Leo:  Pass on the info.  What did you learn about hand picking lures?  Dominick

saltydog

I always tried to pick the ones that were drilled off-center so they had more action.
MacArthur

Tightlines667

Similarily, if I'm setting up a trolling bait with a wide erratic action, I try to pick the head that has the most severe offset center of gravity. Weighted 45 deg plus offset from center.  Conversely if I want a natural str8 swimmer or tight wobble, find one that is perfectly weighted, or close to it.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

saltydog

If anything Dominick I will be making some trolling heads soon.
MacArthur

erikpowell

Quote from: LTM on February 06, 2014, 01:36:30 AM
Erik,

Leo

;D ;D ... famous last words eh Leo?  " Just one more" .. it'll get ya every time !