9/0 line setup

Started by Topshot, January 18, 2014, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

Where do you fish? I can get almost 550 yds of 100 lb test on my 9/0, and 600 yds of 80 lb test. Thats enough for the places I fish, but you'll need more if you have to make long drops, (Texas). I'd go with straight mono 60-80. Save braid for a stronger reel w. more drag power, IMO. I agree w. the others, a 9/0 is just not a monster reel. If you want to hunt sharks on the larger spectrum, then a 12/0 or 14/0 will be what you want. If you just like the 50 size, then a 50w two speed will be more capable.

Chris Gatorfan

I fish in NW Florida between Okalossa Island and Pensacola Beach/ Ft. Pickens. The Continental self runs really close to us here so it keeps us loaded with larger fish. Heck On the piers here it is nothing for us to catch anywhere from 5-15 Sailfish a year, along with blackfin tuna, Mahi Mahi, and even a stray amberjack now and then. We have a Plethora of species to tangle with right here of the beach.
Granted I would love to have a boat to get into some heavier fishing action but we have our inshore smorgishboard which keeps me happy. And the is plenty of King Mackeral and Cobia (Ling) fishing to be done from the beach and the piers.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Ron Jones

Other than the stand, which is the same as any of the bigger Senators, I just don't understand the not a monster reel comment. Sal has gotten more drag out of a Black Pearl hex main gear that fits this reel than anyone needs, and that wasn't max. 550 yards of anything is an awful lot of line. Now that Broadway is bringing out a frame for this reel I say a completely built 9/0 will be stronger than any other Senator. If you need more than 550 yards, switch to braid.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

erikpowell

Quote from: noyb72 on January 20, 2014, 11:11:30 PM
Other than the stand, which is the same as any of the bigger Senators, I just don't understand the not a monster reel comment. Sal has gotten more drag out of a Black Pearl hex main gear that fits this reel than anyone needs, and that wasn't max. 550 yards of anything is an awful lot of line. Now that Broadway is bringing out a frame for this reel I say a completely built 9/0 will be stronger than any other Senator. If you need more than 550 yards, switch to braid.
Ron

I agree with Ron in principle about using braid for higher line capacity. That's how most of my trolling reels are setup. I prefer to have mono in the water for trolling, but have 600yds of 65 & 100lb braid behind my 50-100yds of 50lb & 80lb mono. These are TLD 20II's and Avet 4/0

However, there is one variable some folks may want to consider.
Here's my case in point:
Every year we have an IGFA game fishing tournament here. The biggest reason a few of us DIDN"T enter last year, was the IGFA rules
that barred us from using braid backing.
I was told by the visiting IGFA rep from Australia that I had to re-spool to full mono my 3 reels that have braid backing. That any catch made on those reels would not be legal as they were.

This is the biggest reason I will go full mono on my 9/0 to save the headache. I'll just have to work my way up to having 2 sets of gear.
My everyday set, and a tournament set.  :D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: noyb72 on January 20, 2014, 11:11:30 PM
Ron
It might be the most powerful Senator at the Moment Ron, But it lacks capacity in my opinion. a 14/0 can hold 1000 yards of 130 lb test. A 9/0 can hold a lot of line, but 80 to 100lb mono is all you can spool it with and still have the capacity that I need and keep it all mono. I've been cut off with 100lb braid like it was thread, and I won't fish it again. A little birdie told me that inserts are going to be made for the 12 and 14/0. Not that they need it, but I think we are working our way up the Senators to building the Ultimate Beast! ;)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Inserts will be great for the big ones, but like you said I don't think their shortcoming is in drag range. Until someone comes up with a solution to the stand, the Penn's weakest link, then going to heavier drags won't help. They may not even be a good idea. If you are fishing straight mono and want the capacity then I can see the bigger reel, but that doesn't make it stronger.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

With the Dual Rod Braces of the 14/0, I think it does. I have never heard of a stand failing on a 14/0.
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Ok if we get inserts and i can get either the 14/0 IV been trying to get for the last two months or either one from tightlines, then i will have it all powder coated red and blue with flames. And instead of calling it a 14/0 tank, i will call mine "SENATOR PRIME". ;D
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

I'm going to hold you to that Chris! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on January 21, 2014, 03:34:08 AM
Ok if we get inserts and i can get either the 14/0 IV been trying to get for the last two months or either one from tightlines, then i will have it all powder coated red and blue with flames. And instead of calling it a 14/0 tank, i will call mine "SENATOR PRIME". ;D
Now this I have to see.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Chris Gatorfan

Matter of fact i will take it a Step farther, just powder coat the reel Red and Blue, and then see if I can talk Keta into making me a crank cut into flames which i will have powder coated to look like fire.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Ron Jones

Nah,
You need Lee to cut the crank like Optimus' sword.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Chris Gatorfan

Here is the rough sketch....drum roll please...

;D ;D :o ;D ;D
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Chris Gatorfan

Optimus's Sword would work also...either or but I thing the flame would just be Sick looking.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

I agree Chris. Not to knock Lee, but I am still waiting on this one. ;)

Or maybe like this.  [IMG]
Life is Good!