Black Pearl 9/0 pinions

Started by Shark Hunter, January 30, 2014, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Alan Chui posted this today. It is of high importance if you bought his 9/0 gears.
It is in the Black Pearl Section.   
Black Pearl
Re: For Sale: $72.99 PENN 115L 2.8:1 Gear Set in 316 SS
Hi all,
It has come to my attention that the 115L pinion gear was design to handle up to 28# of drag (as same as the standard PENN pinion). I have contacted my resource about that, and he confirmed that was the idea at the beginning. Since I told him that I have people are using it with the HEX main gear with that or Bryan's new drag set, which can produce more than 28#, he told me that he will need to re-design the pinion to come out with a much beefier pinion gear. Due to the lost translation or misinfo, my resource's R&D definitely will have a new and improve beefier 115L pinion gear. Of course, I will replace all pinion gears regardless if the person uses it less than 28# of drag. I am really sorry on this inconvenience situation, but I am making sure everything must and will be taking care of.

My goal is to have everything that I offer here to be functioning flawlessly and the highest quality possible.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by email or phone (561-568-3980).

Thanks,
--Alan
Life is Good!

maxpowers

Hmm..

Is this related to only the 115L or all of the aftermarket pinon 113,114, etc...?

Shark Hunter

Its just the 115L. I guess this was an afterthought after they realized that a 9/0 Hex gear can generate almost twice that. You see, the 114H and 115L use the same main gear, so all that was needed for the 115 gears was a new pinion. Sal's initial testing of these gears went fine, but when he tried it again, they started slipping. Alan C. will make it right.
Life is Good!

Black Pearl

Quote from: maxpowers on January 30, 2014, 10:11:34 PM
Hmm..

Is this related to only the 115L or all of the aftermarket pinon 113,114, etc...?

That issue applies to 115L pinion gear only. 113H and 114H gear sets are good and performing well.

I will contact those members, who has purchased the 115L gear sets, when the beefier 115L pinion gear is ready and tested, and I will send them out to them at once.

Thanks,
--Alan

Alto Mare

Yes, as of now the 115L needs to be improved, the 113h's are holding up nicely and so are the 114h's. I'm still pushing the Jigmaster's gears and they're also doing fine in my 501, the problem with those was when I installed them in my full accurate conversion reel.
Alan will get it right.

oops, sorry Alan, we must have been typing at the same time.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broschro

Sorry off topic :-[ how's the bridge coming along for the jigmaster  ;D

Black Pearl

Hi guys,

How are you all? I have not been around here lately due to a lot of stuffs are going on.

Last month was a very busy month for my resource. First, it was a long week off for Chinese New Year. Second, most of the R&D staffs went to the China Fishing Show for another week, and their other customer projects. They were jam very bad.

Finally, they were able to exam the damage 9/0 pinion gear. They are going to make 20 pieces of improved 9/0 pinon in SS 416 heat treated. When those are done, some will be shipped to here for stress testing by Sal (I am hoping in next couple weeks). If they pass the stress testing, a mass production will start.

I know that we will get it right, but we just need little more time to make sure. We are trying not to have the same problem occurs down on the road again. I am really sorry about that.

If any member does not want to wait for the replacement that long, please feel free to contact me and send the gear (gears) back for full refund.

Thanks,
--Alan C.

Shark Hunter

I think the 416 ss is a better choice for this application. With the heat treating making it tougher and harder for the added drag capabilities, however is it more susceptible to corrosion because of the added Sulphur in the metal. Keep us posted Alan. ;D
Life is Good!

Black Pearl

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 10, 2014, 05:30:02 PM
I think the 416 ss is a better choice for this application. With the heat treating making it tougher and harder for the added drag capabilities, however is it more susceptible to corrosion because of the added Sulphur in the metal. Keep us posted Alan. ;D
Hi SH,

We believe that if the pinion is well grease, we don't think it will have corrosion issue. I am saying that it will not be corroded, but it will take a longer time. That goes with the 300 series SS as well.

Newell Nut

Alan

Glad to see you are getting all the bugs out of the material problems before we start messing with the Newells. Looking forward to some good things in the future.

Dwight

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Black Pearl on March 10, 2014, 05:53:44 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 10, 2014, 05:30:02 PM
Hi SH,

We believe that if the pinion is well grease, we don't think it will have corrosion issue. I am saying that it will not be corroded, but it will take a longer time. That goes with the 300 series SS as well.
As well as I maintain my reels, I don't see a problem either Alan. Wise Choice. ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

I'm happy to see progress on these.  I still plan to pick up a set in a few months. Also, the lessons learned might translate to the 112h pinions.
Central Florida

Three se7ens

If he's still looking for testers in another 4-6 weeks, there's a 14 foot plus hammerhead that hangs out at one of the offshore wrecks I frequent I'd love to catch.  I lost 100 plus yards of line at 25 lbs of drag last time I hooked him before I was broken off on the wreck.  I'd love to try my luck with more drag, and I have a 9/0 on the way.

floating doc

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 16, 2014, 02:38:33 AM
If he's still looking for testers in another 4-6 weeks, there's a 14 foot plus hammerhead that hangs out at one of the offshore wrecks I frequent I'd love to catch.  I lost 100 plus yards of line at 25 lbs of drag last time I hooked him before I was broken off on the wreck.  I'd love to try my luck with more drag, and I have a 9/0 on the way.

Now that's the way to test the gears!  Get video!
Central Florida

Black Pearl

A new improved pinion gear will be available for testing from Sal by the end of this month.