Hi Alan.

Started by HialeahAngler, May 17, 2010, 11:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HialeahAngler

Just wanted to let you know that your Penn Jigmaster 500 thread saved me yesterday. Here is a link to my thread on our fishing forum.
http://www.reelflafishin.com/forums/showthread.php?743-The-Battlefield.&p=7373#post7373

I always followed your repairs on FS before it crashed. Thanks for all the incredible info! It is very appreciated. I have one question now. I have 3 Abu Garcia Ambassadeur. I cleaned all 3, greased and oiled. The problem is that they won't cast far anymore. Not even with big weight. They are all missing the drag outside cover that somehow always gets lost. Can that be the problem? I had used them like that before with no problem. But after cleaning them they still won't cast. Can you help? Thanks!

CarolinaCustomReels

Which "outside cover" is lost? It's doubtful that a drag piece is causing your casting issue because the Ambassadeur has a disengaging freespool.

Does the reel make any noises when casting?

Evan

alantani

nice post!  yeah, i'm with evan.  not sure what part you're talking about.  can you post or e-mail a photo?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

HialeahAngler

Here is the pic fellas. I am pointing to it with the tool.

thanks. can it be that my bearings are gummed up or need replacing?

alantani

pull the spool and see how it spins all by itself!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CarolinaCustomReels

It could be the spool. Pull the whole spindle out and see if the spool spins freely on its own.

If that whole cap is missing, it is likely your problem. That cap holds the spool in alignment. Without it, the clutch plate can ride into the right side and the brake blocks can actually drag on the interior of the brake plate. Actually, if you did not have any brakes on the pins of the clutch plate the rim of the spool would probably rub against the brake plate as well.

You can test this fairly easily. Try tipping the reel to the left and see if the spool spins freely. Then try tipping the reel to the right and see if the freespool decreases. If so, the missing cap is definitely the culprit.

If so, you'll need the cap and the shims that go inside it. These pieces can be found fairly readily on eBay or from any Abu parts dealer.

Evan

HialeahAngler

thanks guys, I'll try it! been away for a while. busy, busy, busy!