Torium losing drag all of a sudden.

Started by seano100, February 04, 2014, 05:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seano100

Thanks Jonathan. Makes sense. I may have to switch to ht100. But what baffles me is why it happened out of the blue? Why do I need to add things when it was working perfectly.... It's just weird how it lost drag. And it's bugging me that I can't figure it out hahaha. I will let you guys know if I find the solution. Thanks for all the help

alantani

i'm still betting on the spool shaft.  it was working one minute, then broken the next.  that means something broke.  it was not one of the bellevilles and the star is not stripped.  that leaves on the spool shaft.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seano100

What would cause the spool shaft to slip? And also what need to be replaced if it is the shaft? Do I need a whole new spool?

alantani

to install the shaft, they heat up the spool and then slip the spool shaft into the spool and let the spool cool down around the spool shaft.  sometimes they slip.  find a place to safely hold the spool shaft with vise grips, take care not to damage the round part of the spool shaft, and then twist the spool by hand and see if it slips.  if that is the case, you might be able to drill a set screw in the middle of the arbor of the spool to lock the spool shaft in.  or you can buy a new spool.

but before you do that, let's make sure that you have correctly identified the problem.  i just can't think of any other reason that a reel that WAS working is now suddenly NOT.

seano100

I finally know what the problem is. I had to send it to shimano. All it was was a faulty worn out drive shaft retainer clip!!!! All of that trouble for a retainer clip. So annoyed. Thanks for all the help guys.

alantani

i took a look at the torium 16 schematic.  the clip is TGT 0033 and the drive shaft is TGT 0939.  i'm not sure how that could cause a sudden loss in drag unless the gears were not connecting.