Hot rodding my old TLD 5

Started by J.AkuHed, May 18, 2010, 01:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.AkuHed

OK, the TLD5 is the only Shimano I own, otherwise I hate 'Shimanos! Kind retro, lots of nostalgia with my old reel, one of my first conventional reels. I'd like to fish her again!

I have changed to ceramic bearings, put Carbontex drag washer, Cleaned and lubed with Speed-X, so how do you get this baby to cast better?

Someone once mentioned that you can put longer springs on the spindle. Somebody also mentioned to touch the side plate with a dremel to give the spindle more room. Not this dexlexic, shaky fool!

Is there a real way to help this baby cast better?

MIA (Mahalos in advance!)

akfish

I don't think there's much you can do other than open the bearings and lube with a fast lubricant. The plastic (er, graphite) frame on that reel means that it just can't be as precise as a metal reel like an Avet. On the other hand, if you got an aluminum Charter Special 1000 frame from Alan, you'd have a TLD 5 for all intents and purposes, have more drag and longer casts...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

J.AkuHed

Already asked about the CS1000 frame, Alan says they do not match.  If what you are saying is true the I guess I'll just have to by more egg sinkers! ;D

alantani

i'd add a bearing sleeve.  the right spool bearing would have to be properly spaced as well.  it is set too deep into the spool.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!