Never taken apart a reel before but I'm going to have to soon!

Started by smalpierre, February 06, 2014, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalpierre

So I'm moving to the Florida Gold Coast. About the only rod / reel I've got that will be of any use at all is my wal-mart shakespear spin reel that I use for catfish. Since I want to target some pretty large species, I'm stopping by my stepdad's boat and picking up one of his rod / reels that have been dust collecting.

It's been a long time since I've seen them, but one of them looks like a pen 9M, I don't remember if it's got the level wind or not. It could be an old Senator since he did work on a fishing boat when he was in school, like I said I'm not sure.

I do know it's a star drag, at least 30 years old, and it's been collecting dust for who knows how long.

What should I do to make sure it's operational? How hard are conventional reels to take apart - and more importantly put back together?

smalpierre

I just realized I posted this in the intro section. Not sure how to move it, moderators please feel free to put it wherever  :)

alantani

you're fine here, and welcome!  the 9 levelwinds are pretty small.  check out the penn tutorial section. if you like penn reels, you'll get along just fine with most of the guys here. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Welcome. You are in good company and we are here to help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!