Rod Building Wonder Wizard

Started by thunnus69, February 06, 2014, 12:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

I have been building for a number of years from 2wt fly rods to 130# Marlin rods.  I wanted to encourage everyone interested in rod building to check out an acquaintance of mine in the N.Y. area named Billy Vivona.  If not to attend one of his seminars at least visit him on facebook under The NERBS.  I joined the North East Rod Builders (NERBs) a few years back and can't say enough about what I learned, how I approach building, and my understanding of materials and application,  big thanks to Billy and other NERBs.  Billy also has a DVD, book, and CD-Rom for threadwork. I have all three and my threadwork has improved exponentially.  While my threadwork has improved over the years it doesn't compare to some of the NERB guys.  They bring it to an entirely new level.  Good luck building.

alantani

feel free to post any links you have!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

floating doc

Central Florida

thunnus69

Thanks Alan.  Happy to share what I can.  Rod building is a small community and we learn from eachother's successes as much as from our failures.  I learn more from helping others and derive much satisfaction from this as well.  There is no University system for rod building just fellow rod builders sharing their experiences. Those willing to push the envelope of rod building and share their "secrets" should be commended.  Billy Vivona is one of those such people.  It's not a stretch to say that Billy's done more for the do it yourself rod builder since Dale Clemmens.  Here is the link to the NERBS homepage, you'll have to cut and paste it.
http://northeastrodbuilders.com/home.html

On faceback you can simply look up NERBs.  It's an open forum and chock full of thread art and helpful tips.
Hope this helps.
-Joe

bluefish69

Joe

Billy fishes on the Ocean Eagle on pier 5 & I work pier 6 in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn NY. Have you seen his work with Inlays? I have a Mega Mag with a Crossed Ridged Pipe Wrenches in the fore grip & but of the rod. They look real.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thunnus69

Mike,
I have seen Billy's work with inlays as well as his other grip designs.  He helped me out with a Grateful Dead style rear and fore grip for a friend of mine.  Combined with an "Uncle Sam" weave and red, white and blue wraps I did, the rod looked sick. Here's some pictures of the finished rod:
It is spiral/acid wrapped and caught a number of Stripers out on this race this past summer.

thunnus69

Better pic of the steal your face skull weave under the first guide:

thunnus69

Last pic with a Penn International 12LT that Cal tricked out/ "Super 12'd"  for me.

wallacewt

hi thunnus
can you show stripper to tip /acid rod

thunnus69

What do you want to know, maybe I can help.

thunnus69

Wallacewt,
Here it is.  Hard to see the guide layout:

bluefish69

Thunnus

Billy does amazing work. He lost everything during Sandy but he is back stronger than ever. To bad I can't bring the thread Pictures of Inlays over here.

Are you on L.I.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

thunnus69

Mike I am in CT.  I remember Billy's shop before the storm and was at it recently after the storm.  His shop looks better than ever.  Unfortunate for him his area got hit so hard. 

wallacewt

is that stripper guide in line with the reel seat or at 90deg;
cheers