Penn Baja Special

Started by Lbctermite, February 12, 2014, 08:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

Tom,

I am confused.  The drag is very easy to service.  The dogs on the other hand are a bit fussier.  Make sure you have the gear seated completely onto the bottom of the sleeve and the sleeve bearing is flush into the gear.  I was able to add additional drag to the baja without any issue.  Took it up to more than 30 lbs of drag easily..

You are only confused because I said it wrong.  I am having trouble with getting the "dogs" to stay in place--probably the vodka or the zin-- ;)
TomT

Lbctermite

Well, I took it to The store for them to figure it out.  Initially, they said the dogs are worn but they seemed fine to me.  I'll get it back after I come back from whistler next week.  We'll see what they have to say.  I'll let you guys know. 

Also, I can't wait to use my new setup of a custom btg90j and cedros csd12.  Seems and sounds like an awesome setup for tossing the plug. 
"Only tossing irons on the long rods..."

Ron Jones

Aren't those stainless dogs? It would take a lot to wear out TWO stainless dogs.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

LB.

Did you completely dismantles the reel or merely removing the 4 screws and reorient the reel?  if you took apart the reel pay special attention to the orientation of the dogs.

Topshot

Quote from: maxpowers on February 13, 2014, 05:30:53 PM
LB.

Did you completely dismantles the reel or merely removing the 4 screws and reorient the reel?  if you took apart the reel pay special attention to the orientation of the dogs.
Also make sure that you have the anti reverse ratchet in the right direction. It fits both ways and is easy to not really notice you put it in upside down. If you put it in upside down the teeth will be going the opposite direction
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

DaBigOno

Quote from: Lbctermite on February 13, 2014, 08:13:29 AM

Well, I took it to The store for them to figure it out.  Initially, they said the dogs are worn but they seemed fine to me.  I'll get it back after I come back from whistler next week.  We'll see what they have to say.  I'll let you guys know. 

Please keep us posted. 
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Lbctermite

So I just returned from my trip and got a voicemail from my tackle shop.  They said that everything was good to go and that the clicking was normal.  They even opened up new boxes of Baja specials and tried it out with the same results.  This boggles my mind as to why it would occur.  If anyone has a Baka special with the metal star drag, please see if you get the same thing that I'm talking about.  I'll be going to the store tomorrow to see for myself also. 

The method or issue is when you crank the handle in gear fast, stop the handle and see if the spool spins just a little bit with clicking noises.  Please advise!! 

Thank you

Lbctermite

It is true to what they said.  Tried out the brand new Baja Specials and it does the same.  The reel performs perfectly besides that little annoyance.  Anyone that has a baja special have the same thing too?  Just need to confirm so that I can feel comfy.  If anything, I got a free service out of it.   ;D

alantani

it's just the way the shoulders on the spool shaft are cut.  the ambassaduers do the same thing.  i'll bet many other reels will, as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Lbctermite on February 20, 2014, 02:16:13 AM

It is true to what they said.  Tried out the brand new Baja Specials and it does the same.  The reel performs perfectly besides that little annoyance.  Anyone that has a baja special have the same thing too?  Just need to confirm so that I can feel comfy. 

I never noticed it before, but my 113HN does it too!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Topshot

Mine doesn't do it. Weird. Does this mean mines broken lol
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

maxpowers

i just watched the video again and i did not realized that the spool continued to spin after the handle stop.  the spool on mine stop spinning one i stop turning.  i don't remember any of my reel continued to spin once i stop turning.

maxpowers

Quote from: alantani on February 12, 2014, 10:22:46 PM
for some reason i can't open the file.  but if i understand correctly, the reel DOES function normally, right?  so you crank hard with a full spool of line, but no tension against the line.  the spool gets moving in retrieve and then you abruptly stop the handle and the spool keeps on spinning in the retrieve direction. 

if this is correct, then i think this is normal.  ambassaduers do the same thing.

Alan, 

If I am reading this correctly you are saying that put the reel in gear but have almost zero drag tension and turn the handle hard.  The spool should continue to spin afterward?

Thanks,

alantani

this happens only with an empty spool, or one where the line is just cut and is flopping around.  you crank the handle to get the spool turning in the retrieve direction, then stop handle abruptly and the spool keeps on turning.  the momentum keeps the spool turning and the shoulders of the spool shaft bang against the pinion gear.  it's normal if the shoulders of the spool shaft are bevelled.  the same thing happens with a spool shaft that has a cross pin if the pinion gear is bevelled. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maxpowers

Quote from: alantani on February 20, 2014, 06:49:56 PM
this happens only with an empty spool, or one where the line is just cut and is flopping around.  you crank the handle to get the spool turning in the retrieve direction, then stop handle abruptly and the spool keeps on turning.  the momentum keeps the spool turning and the shoulders of the spool shaft bang against the pinion gear.  it's normal if the shoulders of the spool shaft are bevelled.  the same thing happens with a spool shaft that has a cross pin if the pinion gear is bevelled. 

Alan,

I have the baja special with a full spool and the line is taped down so there is no line tension.  However I have gears engaged and the drag set at about 10 lbs or so and when I stop cranking the spool stopped moving.  I have not test it with almost zero drag.