finnor marquesa ma20 topless

Started by wallacewt, May 27, 2010, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

got my new toy and pulled it to bits today.what an enigma.ss main,pinion,2 dogs,reel foot,screws,you bewdy.  BUT no grease, reel bag,oil,only litrature was a schematic sheet.no mention of warranty.tested drag,terrible,free spool 8 seconds,opened it up.dry as a drunks mouth on a sunday mornin.cleaned and greased with inox5 and cals.drag not jerkyanymore.15lb@1 ft/5sec;freespool@15lb very good,dont really know how much but with small swivel on went straight to the floor in freespool.good enough for me.water will get into this reel via a springy drive gear cover,also a hole under the reel foot.dont know what thats for.i plugged it.gunna have to leave reel in gear on boat and when you clean.no loctite or grease on any screws.made in china alright with no quality control.you are so right alan with a new reel.give it a full service.first one ive ever done thank you.anyone else got one like mine?

wallacewt

Quote from: wallacewt on May 27, 2010, 08:09:54 AM
got my new toy and pulled it to bits today.what an enigma.ss main,pinion,2 dogs,reel foot,screws,you bewdy.  BUT no grease, reel bag,oil,only litrature was a schematic sheet.no mention of warranty.tested drag,terrible,free spool 8 seconds,opened it up.dry as a drunks mouth on a sunday mornin.cleaned and greased with inox5 and cals.drag not jerkyanymore.15lb@1 ft/5sec;freespool@15lb very good,dont really know how much but with small swivel on went straight to the floor in freespool.good enough for me.water will get into this reel via a springy drive gear cover,also a hole under the reel foot.dont know what thats for.i plugged it.gunna have to leave reel in gear on boat and when you clean.no loctite or grease on any screws.made in china alright with no quality control.you are so right alan with a new reel.give it a full service.first one ive ever done thank you.anyone else got one like mine?
couldnt get the spool spindle out yesterday because the tiny screws are metric allen key screws and i didnt have a set. have now. still cannot move them. part#1 screws into part#3 click assembly.all bearings are sealed.i just sprayed down the centre of the spool with inox 5.working fine but there will be trouble ahead.any suggestions. 

wish I was fishing

These reels look the part, and one I've been considering buying. But they don't seem to get any good press, I've not read anything to recommend them on this thread or the others are they worth having, or do the problems they seem to have from new outweigh the good points?
Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .

wallacewt

Quote from: wish I was fishing on May 28, 2010, 07:46:47 AM
These reels look the part, and one I've been considering buying. But they don't seem to get any good press, I've not read anything to recommend them on this thread or the others are they worth having, or do the problems they seem to have from new outweigh the good points?
to be honest i think they will fish terrific,BUT,they will have to be serviced more frequently.water will get in.for instance,there is no drag cover.when you go into freespool the pressure plate releases and the drag washer is exposed.when you wash it or out fishing leave the pressure on the drag.service is a must out of the box by someone who knows what he is doing.im not one of those guys but im learning very quickly.be nice to have one of the guys from here give em a crack.cheers.sry i cant send photos.

Irish Jigger

I read a review of these reels some time ago on Bloodydecks and was not impressed enough to buy one. I would be concerned about availibility of spare parts for a Chinese made reel in the UK.  I have been spoiled by using Penn reels for many years with spares so readily available. I recently bought a Tinidad TN16 which I love fishing with and can obtain spares by return of post in the UK.

wallacewt

Quote from: Irish Jigger on May 28, 2010, 06:55:28 PM

I read a review of these reels some time ago on Bloodydecks and was not impressed enough to buy one. I would be concerned about availibility of spare parts for a Chinese made reel in the UK.  I have been spoiled by using Penn reels for many years with spares so readily available. I recently bought a Tinidad TN16 which I love fishing with and can obtain spares by return of post in the UK.

went to bloodydecks.com.the boys fished em,drags couldnt hold up.quote "avoid them like the plague"!!!unquote.

alantani

Quote from: wallacewt on May 29, 2010, 01:19:53 AM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on May 28, 2010, 06:55:28 PM

I read a review of these reels some time ago on Bloodydecks and was not impressed enough to buy one. I would be concerned about availibility of spare parts for a Chinese made reel in the UK.  I have been spoiled by using Penn reels for many years with spares so readily available. I recently bought a Tinidad TN16 which I love fishing with and can obtain spares by return of post in the UK.

went to bloodydecks.com.the boys fished em,drags couldnt hold up.quote "avoid them like the plague"!!!unquote.

but they were probably fished dry.  if they are serviced properly, i'll bet they would fish great!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

borntofish

Quote from: alantani on May 29, 2010, 03:13:19 AM

but they were probably fished dry.  if they are serviced properly, i'll bet they would fish great!

Would greasing the drag make it somewhat waterproof also?

PS: Isn't Okuma coming out with a small lever drag, ie a variation on it's Cedros models.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

Quote from: alantani on May 29, 2010, 04:58:12 AM
yes to both.
went back to bloodydecks and under the heading of marquesa the bloke is talking about a 50 and a 30.he must be talking about the old fins,because they dont make a marquesa 50.any how thought id try for a bit more drag 25lb.smooth as silk,its getting to the silly stage for an old bloke like me whos past the seniors and into veteran class,with no harness lugs on the reel i think ill bail out at 25lb.i dont wanna send the wrong nut skyward.cheers 

wallacewt

Quote from: alantani on May 29, 2010, 04:58:12 AM
yes to both.
my last go at this till i go and put a samson on the end.the bearings have these markings.smos 86972. comments anyone?

wallacewt

just an update now after 2yrs exp; and wiser.
ive landed all sorts of fish,samsons included.no problems.

redsetta

Great thread Wallace - the proof's in the pudding.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dave Bentley

Quote from: wallacewt on May 02, 2012, 02:52:15 AM
just an update now after 2yrs exp; and wiser.
ive landed all sorts of fish,samsons included.no problems.

G'day Wallace, I have the MA20 as well, tried to strip it down but can't get the drag arm off the shaft to seperate the spool from the body. Are there any tricks to doing it.

I topok it to Jurien, it's a dream to use, no problems with Mackeral to 19Kgs, Duhies and Pinkies no worries
Only believe that which you know to be true.

wallacewt

gday dave
i cant remember,if someone else could chime in pls,do you have the schematics.if you get no answer ill pull mine apart for you.