redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

wallacewt

i had a look for you dave.
part#20unscrew right hand thread
part#83 unsrew left hand thread
be very careful here,as you lift off part#21,
there are 2 little click springs,part #25 underneath.
then there is a retainer spring part#27 with 2 little holes
widen the clip and remove.
you should be free sailing from there.
you did do a full service before you used it.cause you did ;)
if you need me to go further in just let me know

David Bentley

Thanks Gentlemen, Winter is about to hit Western down under shortly and now I have a job to do for the long weekend.

I will let you know the outcome.

Mate, because I couldn't get it apart what I could see had I could see had grease and it handled the trip OK.

I am sure it will be even better after this.

wallacewt

i would advise you to strip it right down when you have the time.dont worry if it takes a week or more,its just a bit of oil and grease after that.did you fish with whitey out of jurien bay or used your own boat.cheers mate

David Bentley

Went up there with the Western Angler crew, guided by Darryl Hitchen. Whiteys boat, bagged out by 11:00 AM both days.

Lots of all the majors species.

Yeah, a full strip down is the plan, sheilds off bearings, Cals on the drag etc, etc.

Looking forward to the Challenge.

wallacewt

dave a little trick i use that may help.
when you get to a tricky bit,  take it out,   put it straight back in,  take it again.
and the one that alan recommends,take photos as you go.
it all seems a bit much at 1st while we learn but a similar reel becomes easier,then good,gooder and goodest.
gooder luck

Dave Bentley

Thanks, did that little trick and it worked, I have pulled it apart and put it back together 4 times tonight.

2 hours and 5 Kilkennys and I'm a bloody genius.

Some time over the weekend I will do the bearing shields, grease up and oil change and I reckon it'll be a gooden'.

Gonna need to do another charter to test it out.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

redsetta

QuoteGonna need to do another charter to test it out.
Good call!  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

ok m8
bit of confidence and away you go

Dave Bentley

Uh Oh
I stripped it down on Saturday, removed the shields from the 2 spool bearings, (Almost no grease, glad I did it)
left the shields on all the others and oiled them as best I could.
Reassembled it all and..........very noisy. Stripped it down again and found, lo and behold, 2 stuffed spool bearings, must have hit the race with the awl. Bugger, now need two new bearings, S607Z and S797Z. All this happened before the 1st Kilkenny so I can't blame that.

Question, Should I fit bearings with no shields, buy them with shields and remove the inside one or leave the shields on and use the bearing greaser I have just ordered form Alan.
Incidentally Alan offers the best service from any one I have dealt with in my 62 years. Bearing greaser and freight to Western Australia for $xx:xx (hope he makes a profit at that rate, he deserves to make a quid for the sevice he provides) and no money to be paid until I receive the goods.

There are a lot of (read all) Australian companies that could learn from this. Service in this country sucks big time.

Dave

Only believe that which you know to be true.

wallacewt

hi dave,i can only tell you what i do.oil the spool bearings, open, (i like as much freespool as i can get)grease the rest,i use tsi-321 and inox mx6  grease on everything including drags.thats it.i keep reel covers on when im not using them,(wife makes them for me) when i switch rod&reel,  covers go straight on before i start fishing again.keeps the spray and waves off a little bit,especially the cowboys i fish with. hope this helps.sry ,forgot the ar bearing,no grease,drop of oil.redsetta had a good method.just run a rag up and down until all the bearings are shining ,then drop of oil.simple.

exp2000

Just serviced an MA-20 and I was amazed at the quality :o  It was like something from yesteryear!

By comparison the anodised finish on a Shimano Talica was very disappointing  :-\

The grease in the bearings was a bit light so the pinion bearing had failed.

The spool drag is open on the RHS so bearings here are somewhat vulnerable and need attention.

You would have to look hard to find quality like this these days for the price so you can go in knowing you are buying something that's gonna go the distance provided you look after it  :)

Very impressed.
~