Shimano GT-X 1300

Started by Tawakoni Terror, February 17, 2014, 11:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tawakoni Terror

I found this in the back of my storage closet. I would like to try to fix it for one of my grandsons to use.  The main issue is that the bale will not flip back over.  Before I go any further I would like to know what to look for in the way of a fix. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Tks in advance.

Ron Jones

I've actually fixed this a few times a good bit ago. The primary culprit is gunk in the bail mechanism. I hate messing in that area, lots of little parts, but I recommend getting a drawing and making a pot of coffee and then giving it a good cleaning and service. I bet it works when you are done.

There are actually several different GT-X reels. Is yours a front or rear drag? As I remember, all the bails worked the same assuming it is a Quickfire II reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tawakoni Terror

The reel is called out as only a Quickfire. Rear drag. Thanks for the reply.

philaroman

like Ron said, most likely its just dirt build-up & lack of lube.  squirt in some thin oil around the base of the bail arm & under the bail spring cover & work it with your hands, for a bit.  if the bail return improves, it's not quite "fixed", but you know there are no broken parts & a thorough clean/lube job is all you need.  if there's no improvement, it could mean a part is broken or out of place, or just SERIOUS caked dirt.

the bail spring may be weak, too -- just spread it out a little with your fingers (if you use pliers, you may break the old thing)

http://www.reelschematic.com/schematics/Shimano/Magnumlite/MAGNUMLITE%20GT-X1300.pdf

http://www.reelschematic.com/schematics/Shimano/Magnumlite/MAGNUMLITE%20GTX1300%20PLUS%2887-43%29.pdf

Ron Jones

Something not discussed yet is the value of the reel. I am not one to worry much about it but if you have to buy parts their is a good chance it would be more expensive than a new reel. If the reel has sentimental value then of course fix it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tawakoni Terror

Y'all are great, thanks.  No special value to the reel. I let the grand kids use the old stuff so that if it breaks or gets thrown in the lake by an errant cast as happened last summer there is no great loss.
What I'm uncomfortable about is not understanding the tripping mechanism for the bale.....but I'm going to find out :)

Ron Jones

Philaroman is right,
If you do a quick & dirty clean, especially like an aerosol like Crud Cutter or WD-40 and it starts to work then you know you are onto something. If I remember rite the whole bail mechanism has a cover that comes off w/ 2 small screws. You might pull the cover, give it a squirt or two then put on the cover and see what happens.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Tawakoni Terror

Gentlemen,
Reel was striped to the casing, cleaned and re-assembled. Perfect for my 8 year old g-son

Just wanted to say thank you for the input and schematics

Mitch

Ron Jones

Now all we need is PICTURES OF THE FISH!! ;D

Ron
Ronald Jones
"