REEL COVERS

Started by LTM, February 20, 2014, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Folks,

I buy reel covers when I buy the reel, or before taking it out fishing. This has served me well and protected the reels over decades. I used to buy the "Blue Water" brand for those who are familiar with them. They are a semi-heavy blue nylon with gold/yellow piping around the edges. What Ive found is that they break down over the years and the small amount of foam in the piping starts to decay and leave yellow foam dust everywhere. Ive a few neoprene progear covers for my small bait casters that are wearing very well over time and I like the concept of neoprene for reels; soft and the padding is very protective against bumps and brusies.

So, now I need covers for my Saltiga 30T and a Penn 750SS spinner and eventually replacements for my other decaying covers. Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Leo

coastalVT

I came across a post here from Jigging World advertising new reel covers.  Try checking/searching posts from Jigging world.  I'll look for it too.

J
Jay

coastalVT

Jay

jay2578

Hi guys,
I use the IMAX neoprene reel covers for my Abu's and they can be put on the reel even if its fitted to the rod.
The neoprene is reasonably thick and offers good protection. Only had them for about 6 months so time will tell, but they look pretty good quality.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Shark Hunter

I use Crown Royal Bags. Inexpensive and keeps them from getting scratched up. It only works on reels up to 6/0 size.
Life is Good!

LTM

Thanx, Ive seen the jiggingworld offerings, anybody try them yet?

Bryan Young

I use old socks.  I'm super low tech I guess.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 20, 2014, 06:40:50 PM
I use Crown Royal Bags. Inexpensive and keeps them from getting scratched up. It only works on reels up to 6/0 size.

You must walk around with a glow all day.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

No Mike, I'm off the hard stuff. ;D You can buy them on ebay.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 20, 2014, 06:40:50 PM

X2
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 20, 2014, 11:07:01 PM
No Mike, I'm off the hard stuff. ;D You can buy them on ebay.

Good for you. I have to make a beer run, maybe Saturday
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Over the years, I have used plastic, vinyl, cloth, flannel, canvas, etc.

For the last few years, I have a lady who makes me (3) sizes of POLARTEC cloth bags with a cord type drawstring.  She also installs the spring type push-button cord keepers commonly found on outdoor equipment.

No scratches -- breathable -- no rust or condensation -- simple, plain, and non-descript -- I can put 30 or 40 reels in a plastic bin, and never be concerned.  They also work great on a rod, in boats to prevent boat rash when moving, or to hide a camera, cellphone, iPad, Garmin, wallet, or anything of value that I don't want out in plain sight. 

My wife could make these -- but she is busy also -- and the lady who makes them for me could use the activity and the extra income.  I generally order 200 - 400 at a time in all three sizes to take care of any reels from microlights to large off-shores.  Use about 800 a year.

In 8 years, I have never had an issue with any of the bags -- and my clients just love them -- and are willing to pay for them. 

The lady charges me $3.00 to $5.00 each -- and I mark them up a buck.

Best, Fred

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx130/foakes1/100_2148_zps5eba530e.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx130/foakes1/100_2145_zps9e2e4bd9.jpg
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

LTM

Thanx Fred for the offer, however Im looking for a water repelling cover (not sack) to use on the boat and in transport while on the reel.

Thank you,

Leo

day0ne

I use the Penn neoprene ones on Penns, the Shimano neoprene ones on Shimanos and the ones sold on ebay by Jaws Fishing Tackle (baja2851) on all the rest. They are a heavy neoprene wrap around style for conventionals and a sort of pocket type for spinners.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

LTM

Dayone,

Do you have a link to that vendor?

Leo