Penn Long Beach Live Bait Reel (259) narrowed

Started by Bryan Young, February 21, 2014, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

great albacore reel that can handle the bluefin that are in the mix sometime.

Keta

Nice!!!  Do you know what the gear ratio is?  It reminds me of my 3:1 Surfmaster 250N, a 501/250 Franken reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Lee
It is the exact same as your reel except it does not EXPLODE!!
Doh!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on February 22, 2014, 12:30:47 AM
Nice!!!  Do you know what the gear ratio is?  It reminds me of my 3:1 Surfmaster 250N, a 501/250 Franken reel.
I didn't count the gears but the rotation of the spool and I think its 2.8:1.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Mark Twain

jeff smith

Nice job Brian. I do like narrow reels somehow they feel so much better balanced on the rod. A 259 is,a rare  beast indeed over here in the u.k. I don't remember seeing one come up on ebay but then we also rarely see 501's either. I had to buy mine from your side of the pond.

Ron Jones

Jeff,
If this reel interests you it would probably be easier to find a 1/0 Senator. It is all but the same thing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Both the 259 and 250 use a 13-140 pinion gear and a 5-60 main gear so this reel has a 3:1 gear ratio.

This thread has "forced" me to pick up 250 Hand Grenade to make another Surfmaster 250N.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on February 22, 2014, 10:52:29 PM
Both the 259 and 250 use a 13-140 pinion gear and a 5-60 main gear so this reel has a 3:1 gear ratio.

This thread has "forced" me to pick up 250 Hand Grenade to make another Surfmaster 250N.
:D :D

You know, I was happy about Ron's comment, but it isn't helping any, I keep getting outbid on the 100 & 150. Is it you Lee? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

No but there are 2 nice 100's I'd like to bid on right now.  I jumped on a "buy it now" 250 for $18.00 and reasonable shipping.  There is a 501 for $100!!!!!!  I thought $50 was too much when I was buying them.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Guys,
I'm bidding on the mismatched 501 with the stupid handle. If I get it, I'll be looking for a 500s right plate.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Cone

I just bought a 501 for about 46.00. It did have a Newell aluminum spool and stand.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

I'm leaning toward a Tiburon 501 kit for my next 250N.

Mark Twain

Newell Nut