Penn Long Beach Live Bait Reel (259) narrowed

Started by Bryan Young, February 21, 2014, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: mhc on January 23, 2017, 08:22:11 AM
Good looking reel Mo, looking forward to seeing the finished reel. Are you going to put in one of Bryan's 5 stack drag kits for the 5-60 gears? It would make a good set with a silver framed grouper special - what's a small diameter grouper special called?

Thanks everyone for the interest...I took that pic after dark so only had room lighting...but you can get a feel for what a sweetie this one will be. Yes Mike...she's got a 5 stack on deck and ready. Mizmo just shipped me a ss gear sleeve and a few other pieces. I was calling this one the Catfish Special(since that will be what I'll use it for) but my brother called it the "River King" and I really like that name. This one is small in stature...but will ride high in the saddle when it comes to power. We tend to like these smaller/lighter hot rods for packing down through the rip rap...toting anything bigger is a chore. We like to save the big reels for the boat. 8)

P.S. I'll post 'er up in the Photo Gallery when she's finished so as not to crowd Bryan's fine thread here.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Quote from: noyb72 on February 21, 2014, 07:53:46 AM
I think it is perfect. Did you ever figure out the gear ratio for the 259?
Ron

After much debate(on this thread and several others) it's been determined that the original 259s used a #13-99 pinion for a gear ratio of 3.08:1 but a #13-500 can also be used for a 3.33:1 gear ratio. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

I have a 259 that I'm not going to have time to work with.  Hope someone can use it.  Thanks.   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20793.msg225470#msg225470

Swami805

I have a decent 259 I'm thinking of narrowing to 501. Going thru this thread it looks straight forward with changing bars,base and spool. Any hiccups I should be aware of? I was looking for a decent 1/0 but this maybe a better choice and I have one. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Swami805 on April 28, 2018, 04:08:03 AM
I have a decent 259 I'm thinking of narrowing to 501. Going thru this thread it looks straight forward with changing bars,base and spool. Any hiccups I should be aware of? I was looking for a decent 1/0 but this maybe a better choice and I have one. Thanks Sheridan
Sheridan,
Did you ever build one of these?
I have two 259's and I'm getting ready to build one of them with a tiburon 501 frame I recently acquired.
Post some pics if you did, would love to see another one built up.
Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

Still have the 259 but haven't gotten to it yet. I keep getting distracted by shiny new things,it gets addicting. I had a 1/0 but it was too nice to fool with it,pretty sure it never had line on it so it went to a good home. One of these days

Darin Crofton

lol, I'm learning all about it myself these days...

Swami805

Had some free time so I pulled out the 259 to see what I could do. It's an older one with no part numbers but some had put a Newell spool in it and was no beauty queen so I figured it won't be on the shelf. Checked the bone yard for parts and found a Newell base and bars and some "Teflon " bushings  also had a progear handle arm and a pro challenger 501 spool looking for a home. Had a few Cortez Conversions levers so I used one on this.
I opened the reel up and a nice steel main gear with smoothie drag washers which I replaced with CF. Nice clean and greased inside, the only thing wrong was the gear sleeve was rounded off. Found a nice one to replace it with and the insides are ready to go!
Got it all back together and it should be a nice reel for fishing 20-25lb.
BIG thanks to Sal for the nob he made for me. This ones walnut,it's very light and a perfect fit in the hand.

xjchad

Looks great Sheridan!  I love how you made all the parts work together!
The knob is a beauty too!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

the 259900 LongJohnSilverBeachLiveBaitmasterJigCaster....went together no issues with 259 tail plate, 99 spool, 24-66 stand, 500 jigmaster headplate, and some stuff from Maxed Out: customized 99 width solid bars. I later replaced handle with progear blade (from Ted also) and custom knob. 

You should have little to no issues if all parts are factory-true.

xjchad

Very cool build also John!
I love those Penn handles too!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Darin Crofton

Great builds, it's cool seeing different plays on an old classic

Alto Mare

Sheridan, I've forgotten all about that knob :), it looks good on that nice reel...enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Homer Hiers

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 21, 2014, 04:05:33 PMLook at the tolerances between the spool and the side plate.

I think this reel is braid ready

Where can I find one of those handles?? Love that reel.
Foul-hookin' b-liners on fire rock