Levelwind bearing upgrade?

Started by jay2578, February 27, 2014, 09:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay2578

I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere that it is possible to upgrade the level wind on a 6500 to one with bearings, is this correct?
If correct, and not a wierd dream, is it a kit, or can you add the bearings to your existing level wind?
???

Thanks
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

rjones

Rob

Ken_D

Quote from: jay2578 on February 27, 2014, 09:15:02 PM
I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere that it is possible to upgrade the level wind on a 6500 to one with bearings, is this correct?
If correct, and not a wierd dream, is it a kit, or can you add the bearings to your existing level wind?
???

Thanks

The free ship from the post above could be _the_ deal maker... stamps are getting spendier all the time.... they are buying the setup from Abu, where it's seen in the Mag-X reel of a while back.

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/6600C5MAGX%20%201600.pdf

Here's the drawing with nomenclature.  
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/abu-garcia-6600-mag-ambassadeur-parts-c-187196_187197_187611.html

So you can compare pricing.

LTM

Guys,

Anyone know the pros and cons of this kit? Will this work on smaller frames like 4600/5500?

Leo

jay2578

Thanks for the replies folks, glad it wasn't something I'd imagined!
After a little searching I have found a uk supplier with a reasonable price, so may go for it on my next payday.... shhh, don't tell the wife!
I'll post up results with pics of overruns, as and when.  ;D
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Quote from: LTM on February 28, 2014, 06:33:42 AM
Guys,

Anyone know the pros and cons of this kit? Will this work on smaller frames like 4600/5500?

Leo

You would need a 4 worm and/or a 5 worm. Look up the drawings for the 4600, and the 5600 Mag X, for the smaller rigs.

mhc

Guys,

Leo
The pros are improved casting, both distance and effort, and the reel feels smoother when retrieving.
The cons are more bearings to maintain, particularly if fishing salt water.

You can also add a ball bearing idler gear and ceramic pawl to further reduce the friction during casting/retrieval - turning a C3 into a C6.

For me at least - I often think the main reason for upgrading is because we can.  :D

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Ken_D

Quote from: mhc on February 28, 2014, 08:18:06 AM
Guys,

Leo
The pros are improved casting, both distance and effort, and the reel feels smoother when retrieving.

You can also add a ball bearing idler gear and ceramic pawl to further reduce the friction during casting/retrieval - turning a C3 into a C6.

For me at least - I often think the main reason for upgrading is because we can.  :D

Michael

Incomplete...half answers in repair forums for newcomers are frustrating...they do not know where to look, or where to buy, until they gain some abu "sealegs". Where did you find the ider, and pawl?

Mandelstam

Or, you could just remove the level wind all together and convert it to a CT, with one of these for instance: http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_info.php?products_id=490

No level wind, no bearings, no friction and no hassle. And much cheaper than going the whole way with ceramic bearings and ceramic pawl and what not.

I'm not saying you should do it as a level wind is something that most people seem to want, but I just wanted to put it out there to be considered.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

LTM

Quote from: rjones on February 27, 2014, 09:56:02 PM
There is a kit available

http://www.castawaytackleshop.com/Abu-Garcia-6000-Worm-Gear-Upgrade-Kit-p/abu-51765-21680-25195-25196.htm

I haven't tried it but have heard that it makes a big difference in casting.
The following parts are from the above site but includes more upgrades:
Kit includes cog wheel, cog wheel ball bearing!
Kit includes set of 4x10x4 abec 5 ceramic hybrid bearings
Kit includes ball bearing worm gear shaft, line pawl, worm gear shaft cover and worm gear ball bearing!

In regards to the worm gear bearing; does one need a specific bb worm gear shaft/parts or just a worm gear ball bearing?
In regards to the bearing size mentined, to upgrade the cog wheel would this be the bearing size needed?

Thanx,

Leo

LTM

Quote from: Mandelstam on February 28, 2014, 06:02:29 PM
Or, you could just remove the level wind all together and convert it to a CT, with one of these for instance: http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_info.php?products_id=490

No level wind, no bearings, no friction and no hassle. And much cheaper than going the whole way with ceramic bearings and ceramic pawl and what not.

I'm not saying you should do it as a level wind is something that most people seem to want, but I just wanted to put it out there to be considered.

/Karl

Karl, this begs the question I posted elsewhere. What is the reason for level winds on reels? The majority answer was because the reels are so small. Hoooey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Then why doesnt Avet put level wind on the SX/SXJ, THESE ARE SMALL REELS WITHOUT LEVEL WINDS AND NOBODYS COMPLAINING TO HAVE AVET INSTALL IT EITHER!

Leo

jay2578

I use reels with a levelwind because I like to fish rather than worry about line lay, I realise this costs me some distance hence the upgrade query, but that's just me.
Its gonna cost me about £30 per reel to upgrade to bearing levelwind and gear.

The next reel I purchase will be a daiwa sl30sh, no levelwind, so I will be taking the plunge at some point.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Mandelstam

Quote from: LTM on February 28, 2014, 06:12:23 PM
Karl, this begs the question I posted elsewhere. What is the reason for level winds on reels? The majority answer was because the reels are so small. Hoooey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Then why doesnt Avet put level wind on the SX/SXJ, THESE ARE SMALL REELS WITHOUT LEVEL WINDS AND NOBODYS COMPLAINING TO HAVE AVET INSTALL IT EITHER!

Leo

I agree with you totally, people (myself included) behave irrationally sometimes. I think it's just a feeling that some types of reels should have level winds and some types of reels shouldn't. No explanation to why. They just should, or respectively, shouldn't.

On my Ambassadeurs I haven't bothered with removing the level winds yet, but a while ago a level wind broke down on a 5500 and so it's finally time to go CT on at least that reel. I really like the idea of removing a lot of moving parts that need service and that can break down at the wrong moment.

Quote from: jay2578 on February 28, 2014, 06:32:45 PM
I use reels with a levelwind because I like to fish rather than worry about line lay, I realise this costs me some distance hence the upgrade query, but that's just me.
Its gonna cost me about £30 per reel to upgrade to bearing levelwind and gear.

The next reel I purchase will be a daiwa sl30sh, no levelwind, so I will be taking the plunge at some point.

I wonder how sensitive a baitcasting reel really is to "bad" line lay. Just at the start of the cast I can see that thin braid wants to bury if the line is badly laid, but after that first acceleration? I have no really experience with casting without a level wind yet but I guess I'll find out.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

jay2578

I have only ever used one reel without a levelwind and found myself paying more attention to the reel than the lead/fish being retrieved.
I'm hoping that a greater level of experience, both with reels and fishing, will mean I don't spend my whole time staring at the spool on the retrieve.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

mhc

Quote from: Ken_D on February 28, 2014, 04:33:37 PM
Quote from: mhc on February 28, 2014, 08:18:06 AM
Guys,

Leo

For me at least - I often think the main reason for upgrading is because we can.  :D

Michael

Incomplete...half answers in repair forums for newcomers are frustrating...they do not know where to look, or where to buy, until they gain some abu "sealegs". Where did you find the ider, and pawl?

Thanks for the prompt Ken, you're right, I did make a couple of assumptions - one being the UK supplier that Jay2578 had found for the duel bearing level wind would also stock the ball bearing idler gears and ceramic pawls. To answer your question, I bought my first upgrade kit, duel bearing level wind and shroud, bearing idler gear and ceramic pawl from Mikes Reel Repair in Canada, and the next couple of kits on Ebay from various sellers.
Dads Ole Tackle in the US is another supplier http://store.dadsoletackle.com/abu-garcia-ambassadeur/level-wind-parts
Another assumption I made was that we were still talking about an ABU 6500 reel as per the OP, so to be clear, the pawl and idler gears will fit 4500, 5500, and 6500 Abu round reels however the level wind assemblies vary in length to suit the width of each size reel. The level wind kits are available for 4500 5500 & 6500 size reels at a number of suppliers, including Dads Ole Tackle and Ebay sellers.    
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.