My Grouper Special

Started by Alto Mare, March 01, 2014, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi Sal, try putting the spool back on the lathe and the other end next to your tail stock with a needle and have it contact the spool shaft.  Then rotate the lateh by hand and compare the position of the needed with the center of the spool shaft.  Do you notice if that shaft deviates from the needles?  If no, then try to repeat with the sides of the spool shaft.  This is to just check if the cut is concentric all around the shaft.  If it is, then it's probably flexing the shaft.  There is nothing you can do about that unless you are able to temper the shaft, and the shaft is made out of a SS that is temperable (is this a word).

Your creation is not all shot...30# before it hits the sideplate?  How many people can hold 30# of drag from the end of a rod?  It it works perfect at 18-25#, that is way plenty for that reel.  It may not be a Grouper Special, but it is a special reel for some type of catch.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Just file the marked high spot off and brush Alocrom the cut aluminium to protect against corrosion.
It helps if you have a friend in the Aerospace business who can help out here as this stuff is expensive.

http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/article?id=A00FWS9N9

Alto Mare

Thanks guys for trying to help, I appreciate it. This spool is pretty much gone, I already got over it.
Bryan. I did your test yesterday and it is off, the problem now is that it can't be fixed. I bet if I started with my dremel set up it would have came out close to perfect. About the 32 lbs, that was by lifting the bucket, I could have pushed it to 40lbs, but didn't want to make Dwight look bad ;D. I pushed it hard to make sure that the new gear combination would work, and it did. ;)
You're right, this reel would make a nice 25lb reel.

Quote from: noyb72 on March 03, 2014, 07:40:00 PM
Sal,
What we did with the reels a couple years ago is switch to the 66 bridge in order to use the 66 gear set of 2.5:1 ratio. This sometimes mean you have to dremel out the sideplate a little to make it fit. I have to say that your system is really nice.
Ron

Ron, you always impress me, you must have lots of tricks up your sleeve ;).
I'm liking this reel, it's a shame no one is interested on the narrow aluminum spool.
Tiburon, could have made a special run just for us here :-\. oh well.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Irish Jigger,
Do you have any pics of bare Alum parts that have been treated with this Alocrom stuff.  I'm kinda curious what the surface ends up looking like, and wonder if paint and or alum filler would stick to treated parts too.  You're right about it being pricy though :(
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Ron Jones

Being someone who does not care for bearings, I would be interested in that spool. Don't know if we would get enough interest to get Tib to do it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Yep, I'm also thinking it won't happen. I don't get it why Penn offers the standard and wide in aluminum, but not the narrow :-\
A complete Tiburon Kit would have looked sweet though,  black plates look gorgeous with the black tib kit .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 03, 2014, 10:46:55 PM
Irish Jigger,
Do you have any pics of bare Alum parts that have been treated with this Alocrom stuff.  I'm kinda curious what the surface ends up looking like, and wonder if paint and or alum filler would stick to treated parts too.  You're right about it being pricy though :(

Tightlines666. Sorry no pics. Google "alocrom" and click on "Images" to view the colour.
I have used this process to protect and repair aluminium aircraft parts that had been anodised and subsequently part machined.
The finish colour was an iridescent golden or  pale yellow which readily accepted paint or aluminium fillers.
I have used it when repairing a Shimano Trinidad TN16 spool which was partially corroded and found that the colour matched the spool as well as providing protection against further corrosion.
Take care when using Alocrom as it carries health and safety warnings.

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on March 04, 2014, 12:13:42 AM
Being someone who does not care for bearings, I would be interested in that spool. Don't know if we would get enough interest to get Tib to do it.
Ron

It sounds like it has a bent shaft from side loading when Sal was trying to cut it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 04, 2014, 01:05:24 AM

It sounds like it has a bent shaft from side loading when Sal was trying to cut it.

Yep!

George4741

Sal, it's too bad about the spool.  It sure did look good, though.  At a quick glance it could be mistaken for a Baja Special.  30 lbs drag; good grief!  You are a braver man than me, as I plan on limiting mine to 15lbs with #40- or #50 mono.
  George

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Hey George, I pushed it as far just to see if the gears would handle it. This is a new combination with the gears, well to me anyway, you probably already did this ;D.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2014, 03:26:54 AM
Hey George, I pushed it as far just to see if the gears would handle it. This is a new combination with the gears, well to me anyway, you probably already did this ;D.

Sal, I thought that was your reason for pushing it.  BTW the grouper special is my favorite reel, at least for now, anyway.
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Sal,

What was Bryan's 5 stack you used in the 149 main gear??  I assume it was a 5 stack for a 113, but please confirm.  I need to re-read what kits Bryan has available.

Thanks,

John

Bryan Young

Hi John,

I have done the 113 drag set yet but the 5-60 gear. Fits nice and will offer with Belleville washer as well.  The stack sits a little lower in the gear and allows space for the Belleville and you can then get rid of the spring wave washer.

I need to order more carbon text washers soon.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Bryan, how many washers can you got in the 66 gear? I'm thinking this thing would be great for a 3/4 day trip to Mexico for bottom fishing.

Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"