My Grouper Special

Started by Alto Mare, March 01, 2014, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Depends on thickness. With Bryan's kit and .50mm carbon fiber washers, you will get 7+1.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: john2244 on March 06, 2014, 02:40:45 AM
Sal,

What was Bryan's 5 stack you used in the 149 main gear??  I assume it was a 5 stack for a 113, but please confirm.  I need to re-read what kits Bryan has available.

Thanks,

John
Hey John, I used Bryan's .50mm metal washers and made .50mm carbon fiber washers from a .50mm sheet from Dawn.
Bryan might have those as a complete kit, but I'm not sure.
You could also use Lee's insert, you could get 7 to 12 working surfaces with those, thickness would determine how many.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Sal do you work for the USPS? you always deliver... :D ;D

john2244

Sal,

I installed the 149 main and 113H pinion in one of my "grouper specials"  today.  As you stated, the gears mesh very well. I purchased four 149 main gears and need to buy some 113H pinions and I will then change the other reels too.  This is a very different set of gears but they work well.  
Thanks again,

John

Alto Mare

Very nice John, I didn't know you had that many ;D. Were you able to find steel 149 gears?

Ron Jones

What washer does the 149 gear use?

Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

6-60, but if you use Lee's insert it won't work, it needs to be a little wider. I'm sending Lee the 149 gears so he could test them. Bryan's 6-60 kit feels very smooth in the 5-149, maybe because of the little extra room. :-\

Alto Mare

The reel is back together, got me a stainless steel spool for $8...not bad.

Shark Hunter

8 Dollars! Good Job buddy. Take it easy on her. ;)
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Grouper season opens here in May or June so come on down and give it a test run.

Alto Mare

I wish I could Dwight, you might get to test this one before I do :-\.

Keta

I changed directions thanks to Sal and  finished building my Grouper special today.  It has a 149 main gear (thanks Sal), a 113H pinion gear, 66 spool (thanks Alan), 5+1 drag (.025 titanium metal washers and .020 CF washers from a ABU 7000 with the ID opened up), 1 thick and 1 thin Bellville washer (thanks Bryan), an Accurate frame (thanks John), one of my reject kranks and one of Alan's handles.  Tomorrow I'll test the drag, the line is 50' of 130# Dacron so I don't go flying.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Looking good Lee, you will find that the new gears combination is actually smoother than the original.

Keta

I put in a marginal 113H pinion to see how they worked but a new one is on the way.  Even with the used gear it runs smooth.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!