My Grouper Special

Started by Alto Mare, March 01, 2014, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I get 23# of drag with the set up I have now but it ramps up too quickly.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Check your spacer and spring washer. Mine didn't do that, did you use 1+5?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2014, 08:19:31 PM
Check your spacer and spring washer. Mine didn't do that, did you use 1+5?

Yes, it's 5+1.  I think I need to remove the heavy Bellville and put in a spacer washer.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

That will do it. I'm also not having luck with those, I now use the original tension spring.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lensters

Quote from: Keta on March 16, 2014, 08:13:28 PM
I get 23# of drag with the set up I have now but it ramps up too quickly.

I haven't built a grouper special but I've had that problem with other reels.  Usually it is fixable by replacing the coarse thread gear sleeve and star with a fine thread equivalents (98-60 -> 98-505 and 10-60 -> 10-505).
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Alto Mare

A narrow grouper special with a narrow kit from Tiburon might still happen. As some of you know I messed up a brand new Tiburon 113H spool trying to make it work on the 113. Since I had nothing to lose, I attempted to pull the spool shaft and yes it can be done.

Now all I need is a beat up 66 spool.
Sal

Cortez_Conversions

So how did you do it Sal? Can you show some pics of the shaft?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Sure Tom, here you go:

I thought they used epoxy, but it cleaned off pretty easy, it is some type of glue though

Taking measurements the shaft is the same diameter, but when I press it back into the spool it stops 1/2" from setting itself all the way in. This tells me that the shaft gets a little larger by the ratchet.
How I got it out was by heating up the spool using Map gas for about 15 seconds, I then grabbed the spool with a couple of rags and hit the end of the shaft with a hammer, once the spool came out about 1/2" I was able to pull It right out by hands, All it took was one tap with the hammer.

Cortez_Conversions

Nice!
I've been wondering how the spools and shafts were machined and assembled.
Good to know for future reference ;).
If  you get a chance, may I get them in my paws for a little inspection?
I'm not in any hurry.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Will do! I believe I have your address ;D

Keta

Shafts will be relatively easy to make.

Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Resurrecting this since you posted it to the other thread. Did you ever get a shaft swap for the spool? Also, have you caught any fish with this beauty.

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 14, 2014, 01:09:10 PM
Resurrecting this since you posted it to the other thread. Did you ever get a shaft swap for the spool? Also, have you caught any fish with this beauty.
NO and No!  ;D.
As mentioned above, the spool and shaft went to Tom ( Cortez_Conversion) .
I didn't hear anything from him and wasn't expecting to,Tom just wanted to take a look. But with that said, you never know what he has up his sleeve.  ;D That man has some serious talent ;).
The problem with machinists as Tom is that when you're that good, there is very little to no time for small on the side projects, their time is too valuable.

Nothing was lost from my messing up the spool, when all done, I still came up with a nice Grouper Special and Tom got to dissect the parts...that's a good thing ;)
Sal

fIsHsTiiCkS

To bad would have loved to see a that black beauty all put together! I'm working on a grouper special now but not with the 4/0. This thread helped A LOT!

Also, how have you not taken it fishing. Thing about a reel head all the time spent working on the reels not enough time fishing  ;D :P

Great stuff as always Sal

George4741

With the shaft removed from the spool I imagine it's easier to machine.  Sal, thanks for sharing and never giving up.
viurem lliures o morirem