My Grouper Special

Started by Alto Mare, March 01, 2014, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

No George, thank you....you started this.  ;D
You go ahead and keep a low profile, we know what you've done here. The Grouper Special was your idea and you've also helped with squeezing additional washers in the stack.
Things happens because of guys like you, keep it up my friend. ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Sal, or anyone,
When reinstalling the spool shaft, how would you secure it so it wouldn't slip?
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Tough one George. When I measured the spool shaft above, it appeared to be the same all the way across and yet when I placed it in the spool, it would hung up about 3/4". I'm thinking those are press fit with a lot of force. A stainless steel pin going through the spool and shaft, might do the trick, but I'll let Lee or some other guys smarter than me answer that one.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

A cross pin is stronger but a press fit would most likely work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Sal, have you done anymore experimenting with the aluminum spool or spool shaft? 
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

George, the spool and shaft was sent to Tom ( Cortez_Conversions ) a while back...a good place to be ;)

Shark Hunter

I second that Sal. ;) I am patiently awaiting his run of ss sleeves for the 12 and 14/0. I know they will be perfect. The Man is a Genius.
Life is Good!

mhc

Thanks to Sal, George and everyone else for the ideas. I have slowly been picking up the parts needed for a grouper special with a 149 main and 113H pinion. It started when I picked up a left side plate and rings for $5 & finished when I got a Newell YTS stand, spacer bars and post from Randy (Vintage Offshore Fishing).

The only problem I had was with the spring for the second dog - it ended up being completely outside the bridge and didn't have anything to stop it falling out. Did you have this problem with yours Sal? I decided to drill a hole in the bridge and tap it for a 5-40 screw and used a 63-209 clicker spring screw to hold a piece of copper sheet shaped to make a 'spring guard'. There is enough room between the SS 66 spool and the bridge for the screw and copper piece - plan B would have been to use a countersunk screw but it wasn't needed.
The spring;

And with the spring guard;
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Excellent job on that reel, I also like the way you covered that spring.
I don't remember what I did on mine, I will need to pull the plate when I get a chance and take a look.
I will let you know.
Good job!

mhc

Thanks Sal, Your original post was over 18 months ago and you would have worked on more than a few reels since then!! - I'm not surprised you don't recall the blow by blow details.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

I just opened her up again:

the spring is still set in place, but haven't taken the reel out.
I believe I used a larger spring, but your way is a much better choice, as long as you have enough clearance with the spool.
Sal

thorhammer

Sal, how about a pic of the silver reel behind? Is that the SS Jigmaster?

Alto Mare

You've seen it before, but sure, here you go:

Shark Hunter

Good job on that spring cover mhc. That baby isn't going anywhere. ;)
Life is Good!

broadway

Sal, where did you get that ball to fit on Adam's handle? Is it an old accurate or something else? I want a bunch of Adam's handles but I'm having a hard time finding a good ball grip that will fit properly.
Any info is appreciated!
Thanks
Dom
PS- MHC nice/ inventive job on the spring guard.