Stripers are here

Started by CaptainRMF, October 25, 2014, 10:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

I guess I rebuilt my Penn 349's good enough to get my first fall Bass. 36" and 24 lbs. Bring on the fall run !!! And it only took me 8 BEERS to catch it ! LOL
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Alto Mare

Nice going Captain ;), boat or surf?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Nice catch, Capt!
I'm pretty frustrated that I'm putting my boat into hibernation for the winter on Tuesday because they came late... I wish they would've called in advance ;)
Hope you have an enjoyable and plentiful fall.
Nail a cow for me, please
Dom

Bucktail

Nice fish.  Where is "here" for you?
Just a jig-a-lo

CaptainRMF

Bucktail, here is Raritan Bay New Jersey side.                                                                                       Alto Mare, I don't do surf. On my boat. 1976 , 23' SeaBird, 350hp Merc outdrive all restored.                  Broadway, feel your PAIN. Though I was gonna miss them too. They are late getting here this year. Gonna try and make the most of it now. Will be back out on Monday, I'll look for one for you !!!
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Sorry Broadway just couldn't help myself. Just got the other pics. from my wife's phone and had to post.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

broadway

Now you're talking... I'm glad someone I know is catching them for me ;)
Nice gut on that fish... What was in the belly... The usual suspects, Bunker, sand eels, eels, baby sea Robbins, baby sea bass, or baby blackfish?
Keep them lines tight,
Dom

CaptainRMF

Hey Dom. He had 1 whole bunker still alive and 2 half eaten ones. 1st one I ever got with a live bunker still in his belly. Guys a the boat yard were amazed. Hopefully the winter will be short and the spring run gets here quick for you !
Richy aka CaptainRMF

foakes

Nice catch, Captain --

What was your most productive depth when trolling for those linesides?

And we're you using wire, mono, or?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Some of us are catching them all the way down here in Pensacola, FL. They stay in the bays near the brackish water close to the river mouths. Generally around 15lbs. I have never caught one myself.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

That's a fat one Captain, very nice,  my largest was 44". I run out of bait that day and had two guys on the boat, all I had to do was to cut him open, he had three hole bunker in him.
I'm also not a surf fisherman, but do enjoy it for a couple of weeks after the boat gets winterized.
Thanks for sharing.
sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on October 26, 2014, 04:08:45 PM
Now you're talking... I'm glad someone I know is catching them for me ;)
Nice gut on that fish... What was in the belly... The usual suspects, Bunker, sand eels, eels, baby sea Robbins, baby sea bass, or baby blackfish?
Keep them lines tight,
Dom
You're not glad you are jealous.  :D ;D

Thanks for the photos captain.  Keep them coming.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Jealous and envious, Darn right! ...but I am glad to see they're back and someone I know is having fun with them.
Dominick, you know me well ;)
Go get 'em guys! ...just let the breeders go free, please.
Dom

CaptainRMF

Morning guys. It's blowin up here so no fishin today. Def going tomorrow though, supposed to be 5mph out of S.W. so should be good. Will keep in touch and let you know whats up. Hey Fred, I troll 150' of 30lb. monel wire backed by 30lb. mono with 25' 50lb. mono leader and small Bunker Spoon. I get down about 25' with this setup. With the big Bunker spoons I'm down about 30'. Seems like they are btwn 20-30' down.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Bryan Young

Looks like loads of fun.  I need to find them stripers...I haven't heard of too much coming up on this side this year.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D