big boy senator inserts

Started by Three se7ens, March 14, 2015, 02:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

On request of Daron and a few others, Ive started working on an insert and drag kit for the big boy senators:  10/0, 12/0 and 14/0, 16/0.  Heres where Im at now:  3/4" thick 5052 aluminum for the insert, 7 each 1.2mm carbon fiber washers, and 6 each 1/16" stainless keyed washers, and a thick keyed washer on top to give the proper height for the drag stack.  The insert sits below the rim of the gear by 1/8" on the 14/0, but I dont think there is anything to gain by going taller with the insert.  I think aluminum is a better choice for the insert in this case because the quality of the cut will be better than in stainless, and it will cost less. These inserts are really pushing the limits of waterjet capability, and I dont think acceptable results are realistic in 3/4" stainless. 

The attached pictures shows the insert for a 14/0.  I designed these so that both the 14/0 and 12/0 sized inserts will take the same carbon fiber and metal washers.  The insert fr the 14/0 will have a larger od, and a thicker wall, as you can see in the picture.  The 12/0 has the same ID on the insert, but a smaller OD and thinner wall.  All of the components except the insert itself will be interchangeable between these sizes.

Based off Sals testing of the other inserts, I expect these to make around 100 lbs of drag when locked down.  Now whether the rest of the reel is capable of handling that is a different story.  But that does mean that at 50 lbs, the drag will still be exceptionally smooth, and not heavily stressed. 

Im looking at pricing these kits in the low $50 range , and will include the insert, metal and carbon fiber drag washers, and delrin washer(s).

RowdyW

Do you have an ETA on the 6/0-9/0 inserts?

Three se7ens

Quote from: RowdyW on March 14, 2015, 02:56:57 AM
Do you have an ETA on the 6/0-9/0 inserts?

Picked up parts from the cutter today, Ill have 8 sets available in a couple of days.  Also have another batch of 113H inserts as well.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Awesome!
This is some good stuff and is definately getting me a bit excited.  I like the design concept (w/interchangable washers), and think the little thicker walls, and aluminum, should help with heat dissipation.  There is still plenty of room on top for an extra CF, and delron washer.  This has potential.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I am Glad you came through with these Adam. With Tom's ss Sleeves and these inserts. It is Ground Breaking. Fishing Stand up on the Beach. I don't think I could hold 100lbs of drag unless I was strapped to the bumper of my Truck. I really appreciate this, and I'm sure others do too.
That extra drag will make it a lot easier to turn a Monster.
Life is Good!

basto

Wow, 100 lbs of drag. Great achievement for a star drag reel.
Can you get a full aluminium frame for a 14/0?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Tightlines667

Quote from: basto on March 14, 2015, 04:08:52 AM
Wow, 100 lbs of drag. Great achievement for a star drag reel.
Can you get a full aluminium frame for a 14/0?

No, but what we really need is a solid stand, and 3 bars..in my opinion.

This reel should handle a smooth 40-50lbs of drag w/o issue though.
Hope springs eternal

ChileRelleno

Hmmmm...  After danged near getting taken off my feet a few times by that big Hammer, I don't think I want anymore drag.   :o

WTH am I saying!   ::)
Sign me up for a 12/0, I'll cough up the money somehow.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

We can load up on triple Whataburgers to Hold us Down! ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 14, 2015, 04:26:17 AM

I wish we had those in HI!

We do have rocket holders (swivel rod mounts), and safety leashes though.  Guys here often lock down the drags and fish 250lb+ mono on 14s, this is just what the doctor ordered.  :)
Hope springs eternal

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 14, 2015, 04:26:17 AM
I haven't had a Triple Bacon Cheese Whataburger since my heart episode.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

doradoben

Daron, instead of tying a rope to the back of your harness, you may want to bolt one of these to the bumper hitch. It'll turn your truck into a sport fishing machine.. ;)

http://www.arrigonidesign.com/rod-holders/samson-post/

Alto Mare

Quote from: doradoben on March 14, 2015, 06:21:33 AM
Daron, instead of tying a rope to the back of your harness, you may want to bolt one of these to the bumper hitch. It'll turn your truck into a sport fishing machine.. ;)

http://www.arrigonidesign.com/rod-holders/samson-post/

Definitely one of the best tool I've seen to date, thanks for sharing it with us.
I couldn't get the price, I'm wondering how much it costs, i'm sure it isn't cheap.

Oh yes, I see the price at the bottom, it is even more tan I expected, I was thinking $750 tops.

Oops! got distracted from the inserts  ::), those are sick looking Adam and I mean it in a good way.
Good point on the drag numbers, I'm noticing with these star reels, to get them extremely smooth at max, you need to almost double the numbers on drag.
Daron, good luck with the testing, the big boys are all yours ;). I'm wondering what you'll come up with, can't wait.
I bet the reel will feel silky smooth at 50Lbs.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.