Low Profile Baitcasters - Again

Started by jaypeegee, July 13, 2015, 10:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

+ 1 for the Komodo.

I just picked one up and like it a lot. Okuma has superb service, IMO.  They can be purchased as the 364P which indicates that it comes with the power handle. I'm good with the non power handle. The EVA knobs and span between them are just right. For jigging the PH would be the way to go so I may pick one up.

Mine is new and I opened it to preservice the innards before fishing it. I, too, kayak fish and will carry it to AK in mid September for kayak use in the kelp beds and reefs.

Drag is suitably strong. Casts like crazy. I put it on a  7' Tuff tip, Jarvis Walker rod and cast the land reel testing cheap, Dyneema, 4s, 85# braid to the last three wraps around the arbor/spindle using a 4oz weight standing in a park field. I've since switched the line out to 65# Sufix performance braid in neon fire for fishing use.

We'll see after it gets fished some.  My purchase decision was based between the NACL and the Komodo. John T.'s advice is well respected and heeded by me. No need to re-invent the reel when someone on here is such a good resource.

Oh,  BTW mine was under $170.00. ;D that kind of clinched it for me.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Steve-O on July 23, 2015, 01:59:23 PM
+ 1 for the Komodo.

I just picked one up and like it a lot. Okuma has superb service, IMO.  They can be purchased as the 364P which indicates that it comes with the power handle. I'm good with the non power handle. The EVA knobs and span between them are just right. For jigging the PH would be the way to go so I may pick one up.

Mine is new and I opened it to preservice the innards before fishing it. I, too, kayak fish and will carry it to AK in mid September for kayak use in the kelp beds and reefs.

Drag is suitably strong. Casts like crazy. I put it on a  7' Tuff tip, Jarvis Walker rod and cast the land reel testing cheap, Dyneema, 4s, 85# braid to the last three wraps around the arbor/spindle using a 4oz weight standing in a park field. I've since switched the line out to 65# Sufix performance braid in neon fire for fishing use.

We'll see after it gets fished some.  My purchase decision was based between the NACL and the Komodo. John T.'s advice is well respected and heeded by me. No need to re-invent the reel when someone on here is such a good resource.

Oh,  BTW mine was under $170.00. ;D that kind of clinched it for me.

I think you are going to be really happy, Steve.

Having been inside all of these so far I can say that there is little to differentiate among them in this hyper-competitive segment they are derived from (Bass Baitcasters).

This segment of reels in the Freshwater market is probably bigger than all of saltwater reels combined and these companies know what they are about.

As you found when you opened your Komodo it was dry from the factory so be sure to pack the under Gear Shaft bearing with grease, light grease/oil the ARB and get some grease on those drag washers. Regular oil for the worm gear, the outside of it's guard and guides and the worm gear bearings are gonna be essential to keep those happy, especially on a yak.

;)

flasaltangler

I was at ICAST and saw the New Daiwa Lexa 300/400 type HD reels. HD for extreme inshore action. Stainless Steel pinion and drive gears and 6 CRBB + 1 RB corrosion resistant ball bearings (CRBB) available in 7.1:1 and Xtra Hyper Speed 8.1:1 gear ratios and custom EVA power handle knob. Lexa 300 HD 22lbs drag, Lexa 400 HD 25lbs drag. Line per turn Lexa 300 HD 7.1:1 - 32.4" / 8.1:1 - 37". Lexa 400 HD 7.1:1 - 37.7" / 8.1:1- 43" Color now is Dark Blue Metallic with gold accents.  Price point Lexa 300 HD $249.99 Lexa 400 HD $299.99. Please keep in mind that the current Lexa 300/400 will still be in production they are not being discontinued. I hope this information is useful.   

Steve-O

John,  i already am pleased with my purchase. My modern reels are pretty much split between Okuma and Abu Garcia.

The Komodo has a great physical presence in ones hands. Not tiny, yet strong and solid feeling. The wide spaced handle knobs are great, too, IMO.

I did most of what you mentioned but it looks like a second go through checking the above boxes is warranted.

I rarely fish on the salt but understand one saltwater trip is like a liketime of freshwater abuse. When I get back from Alaska,  i will report on how well my equipment fared. I got a new Okuma Raw 55 spinning reel as well for the trip and it,too, seems quite robust and up to snuff.

jaypeegee

I saw a cheapish NACL50 on the local NZ auction site and put it on a watch list as it ended on Saturday.
I came down with the worst cold I have had for a while on Friday- Full body aches and fever - Still off work - Still taking Ibuprofen and paracetamol 6 hourly to ward of the bone aches.
Anyway

I got an email on Sunday from the seller thanking me for winning the reel and asking for confirmation of my mailing address.

Yep. I put a cheeky bid on it about 1 min before it closed and had no idea I had even done it.

Not sure if I should be proud or worried....

Anyway, It is on its way, It has been used by a guy who fishes for Salmon down the South Island and has added ceramic bearings to it

Thanks for the thoughts. I suspect I may get one of the Lexa HD's when they become available still tho..

johndtuttle

Hey Jay congrats on the score!

We'll do our best to help you out if you run into trouble. Standing by to assist ;D.

jaypeegee

Cheers JT

hopefully it is as simple as the Revo SX to dismantle and manage

MarkT

NaCl50 is a nice reel.  My son has 2 of them that he got to replace Curado 300ej's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Steve-O on July 27, 2015, 12:54:22 AM
John,  i already am pleased with my purchase. My modern reels are pretty much split between Okuma and Abu Garcia.

The Komodo has a great physical presence in ones hands. Not tiny, yet strong and solid feeling. The wide spaced handle knobs are great, too, IMO.

I did most of what you mentioned but it looks like a second go through checking the above boxes is warranted.

I rarely fish on the salt but understand one saltwater trip is like a liketime of freshwater abuse. When I get back from Alaska,  i will report on how well my equipment fared. I got a new Okuma Raw 55 spinning reel as well for the trip and it,too, seems quite robust and up to snuff.

Take a look at the Revo NaCl tutorial I did (I keep procrastinating on the Komodo) as the reels are remarkably similar.

The common trouble with these reels are the bearings that all sit in areas really exposed to salt (handle or spool) or a place where there is a little sump they rest in which forms a perfect bathtub for saltwater once it gets in for the bearing to swim in :(.

All in all though they are all remarkable examples of tool and die made for amazing fishing convenience.

Komodo is top notch and the all Stainless internals are a bonus. It's just a *touch* noisy because of that (you would never notice until you have a Revo to compare). But that is a quibble I only permit myself on such luxury reels and has no bearing on my feelings about serious fishing tools. In that sense the all stainless is pure win.

Okuma just needs to make one in a 400 size  ;D.

jaypeegee

I note that the knob in my NACL has plastic bushes and not bearings. Haven't pulled the new handle apart yet to see if it is a generational difference.

mike1010

Thoughts on the aluminum gears in the Komodo?

johndtuttle

Quote from: mike1010 on August 02, 2015, 09:40:16 PM

They aren't aluminum. They are stainless.

mike1010

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 03, 2015, 12:10:12 AM

John, I expect you are right, but the Okuma web site says, "Heavy duty, aluminum gearing and shafts."  (http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/baitcast-reels-low-profile/komodo)  What do we make of that, just bad copy?  Thanks.

Mike

johndtuttle

Quote from: mike1010 on August 03, 2015, 11:52:18 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on August 03, 2015, 12:10:12 AM

John, I expect you are right, but the Okuma web site says, "Heavy duty, aluminum gearing and shafts."  (http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/baitcast-reels-low-profile/komodo)  What do we make of that, just bad copy?  Thanks.

Mike

Well, I'm only half right! :D

The larger Komodo 350 and up is all stainless main and a hardened pinion that looks brass but is hardened stainless also, I believe. The small ones (270) are listed as Aluminum and I don't know anything more about them than that. I guess if you are fishing for 1-2 lb fish with 10# line then the 270 reels are fine (and certainly Alu gears are fine for smaller models) but the 350 size is only 10.6oz.....and smaller and lighter than any other saltwater reel I own. Can't see going any smaller than that, personally.

The Komodo 270 are only 6.5oz ;D.

mirrorlure7m

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 30, 2015, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: Steve-O on July 27, 2015, 12:54:22 AM
John,  i already am pleased with my purchase. My modern reels are pretty much split between Okuma and Abu Garcia.

I rarely fish on the salt but understand one saltwater trip is like a liketime of freshwater abuse. When I get back from Alaska,  i will report on how well my equipment fared. I got a new Okuma Raw 55 spinning reel as well for the trip and it,too, seems quite robust and up to snuff.

Take a look at the Revo NaCl tutorial I did (I keep procrastinating on the Komodo) as the reels are remarkably similar.

The common trouble with these reels are the bearings that all sit in areas really exposed to salt (handle or spool) or a place where there is a little sump they rest in which forms a perfect bathtub for saltwater once it gets in for the bearing to swim in :(.

All in all though they are all remarkable examples of tool and die made for amazing fishing convenience.

Komodo is top notch and the all Stainless internals are a bonus. It's just a *touch* noisy because of that (you would never notice until you have a Revo to compare). But that is a quibble I only permit myself on such luxury reels and has no bearing on my feelings about serious fishing tools. In that sense the all stainless is pure win.

Okuma just needs to make one in a 400 size  ;D.

I stopped and spoke with the guys from Okuma at ICAST and they showed me a prototype Komodo 450. So they are working on the larger version I am looking forward to that model.