Aikane Charters 8 hour Tuna Trip

Started by Tightlines667, July 26, 2015, 02:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I finally managed to get offshore for some tuna action.

This year's strong ENSO/El Nino event has lead to a great Ahi run around the main hawaiian islands.  The big 150lb+ Yellowfin showed up earlier this year then is typical (mid April).  By mid May these marker fish were replaced with much larger numbers of big Shibi (35-75lb Yellowfin).  The fish have been on the move and have typically staged at various FAD bouys for a few days to a few weeks before moving to some other local.  Opelu and Akule (Mackerel Scad) numbers have been down in many locals, but the Aku (Skipjack Tuna), and Kawakawa (Pacific Bonito) numbers have been strong.  Malolo (flying fish) numbers are low, as are the pelagic squid.  There has been good numbers of deepwater shrimp, and strong reef fish recruitment (many species of goatfish).   The water temps have been averaging 2-2.5 deg above normal, which has lead to greater verticle and horizontal stratification.  Leeward edies have set up quicker and persisted longer as a result.  The Pilot and False Killer whales have been focusing on chasing tuna.  Wahoo numbers and average size have been up.  Curiously, the bread and butter Mahi have been spotty at best.  

I got a few friends from work (NMFS/USGS) together and booked a charter on the 'Aikane' out of Hickam Airforce Base for this past thursday.  We had intended to go 3 weeks ago, but ran into schedueling conflicts.  After weeks of great fishing, the ahi bite dissapeared 1.5 weeks ago, and I was afraid we missed the boat.  

As luck would have it, low and behold the night before our departure, reports came in that the large Shibi were back on one of our Oahu FADs (the HH bouy).  We bumped our departure time up from 0530 to 0430hrs in order to make sure we got to the bouy (16.5nm out) early enough to get bit.  The offshore weather report indicated 15-20 knots. This combined with a strong current running directly into the wind waves, and a high energy ground swell at a 90deg angle made for very 'bumpy' conditions.  Once the Captain and crew learned that all 4 of us were experienced fishermen, they let us help rig baits, deploy/clear lines, jig, and actually fish the back deck.  

We left the dock at 0445hrs (owing to a quick tour of the owner's vintage war-time big game fishing collection) and ran straight to the bouy.  We were the second boat on the scene, and quickly deployed a 7 bait Ahi trolling spread.  After a few passes the Ahi birds/Wegies/Wedge-tailed Shearwaters started forming 2 large clouds just upcurrent of the FAD.  Large numbers of 35-45 lb Yellowfin Tuna started lazily feeding at the surface.  The fish appeared to be acclimated to fishing boats and trolling spreads and barely paused their feeding when we drove through and around the school.  They completely ignored our and the other boat's baits.

The mate then had us pull the lines, and he broke out his secret weapons... 2-50 class rigs (a TLD 25, and a Penn 50W) spooled with 80lb PowerPro spliced to a 125yd 50lb florocarbon topshot tied directly to a very small (1"long) hook with a few strands of horsehair spliced on.  These tiny flies were deployed 150' astern of the vessel and trolled just fast enough to allow us to jig and pop them on the surface.  

First pass resulted in a larger 50-70lb yellowfin inhaling the fly and immediately proceeding to run 400yds of line off of the tiny tld 25.  The fish stayed on the surface so we used the boat to quickly put some line back on the reel. Within 15 minutes of hookup we had this fish to 150yds of the boat. He then turned, shook his head and sounded. This caused the line to break near the hook.  

After 2 more passes past the bird pile... Hanapa'a (hook up) on the other rod.  The fish immediately sounded and ran about 350yds off of the reel.  After 25 minutes of fighting the fish from the rod holder with little net gain of line, the captain changed tactics and drove away from the fish downswell.  This had the intended effect of bringing him up from the deep.  We then backed down on him and recovered much of the line.  The fish made a strong surface run, and the captain made a big circle to gain a better angle.  Unfortunately, the fish sounded as we were circling, and the boat ran over the line when finishing the circle just upcurrent.  The spectra got wrapped up in the prop, and the captain quickly donned a mask, grabbed a knife and jumped overboard.  He proceeded to cut the fish free and cut out all of the spectra.

Back onboard, he threatened to go back to heavy gear, when I reminded him none of the other dozen or boats had hooked up.  He said "alright we will give it one more chance".  

Next pass resulted in a double hookup.  The first fish didn't get a good hook set and spit it after a short run.  The second one, which was on the light 50 class Penn Rampage TLD25 combo, sounded.  After 25minutes, the first angler had to pass the rod off, and another 15minutes brought the fish boatside.  First Shibi, a 35lber, in the box.

Back on the troll, we got another hookup on the same rig. This slightly larger fish wore Dan (an accomplished angler/trathlon athlete) out, and cramped his left forearm in 25 minutes time.  Joe took over, and after 15 more minutes he had to pass the rod off to myself.  I immediately turned the fish, and used a series of short pumps to keep him heading our way.  I got him within 125yds of the boat when he decided he did not like the boat, and made a strong surge downwards.  This move literally brought me to my knees...LOL  I stuck with it and brought the fish to gaff.  I only fought the fish for 12minutes, and I was literially 'done for the day'.  Arms,  and legs were jello, and my back was in pain.  Exactly what I had hoped for :)  

Back on the troll we started catching a few small (<5lb) Aku, and Shibi.  Some of the other boats were now hooking up as well.  I suggested we rig the next one up live and catch a 'reel fish'.  As we made a pass past the bouy the we spotted some much larger Yellowfin (70lb+ chassing down small skipjack just under the surface.  They littetually ran right past and under our flys without so much as a look.  Another 50lb tuna came crashing, jumping and bounding right at one of our flys, then proceeded to miss it and he kept right on going.

Next pass, we hooked 2 skipjack, lost one boatside, rigged the second one to an 80STW and threw him overboard.  In his haste, the mate had mounted the hook upside down and the hook pulled free of our bait.  

The captain then informed us we were 30minutes past time to head back.  I asked for one more pass past the Shibi school, and he said "ok one more".  

We trolled past the school, just upcurrent and hooked up on the 50W.  Joe fought the fish from the holder, and we gaffed him in 22minutes.  

As soon as the gaff hit its mark, the captain turned the boat for Pearl Harbor and punched the throttles.  We deployed a 5 bait Ono (Wahoo) trolling spread and bucked hard at 8 knots into the steep 5-6ft chop.  We hit the pinnacle, and a floating bouy on the way back, but no knockdowns.  

We arrived back at the dock at 1400hrs.  We strung up the day's catch, the mate cleaned and packaged the fish, we settled up, and called it a day.  8hr charter fee (9hrs of actusl fishing), fish cleaning fee, and tip came out to $1000 ($250 ea.), and we each ended up with about 20lbs of fully dressed fresh tuna.  All in all a great day on the water.  I learned that "even elephants eat peanuts", and reaquanted myself with the true power of these fish.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

AlasKen

Nice report.  I like reading about other locals.  Great job.

Shark Hunter

Great report John. I've never caught a Big Tuna, but I hear they put a Shark to Shame.
Life is Good!

Fisherman Paul

Stunning pics John, now that's fishing, lucky sod lol. ;)

My dream is to catch a sailfish on a fly rod, sadly
were i live there ain't no sailfish in our waters :'( :'(

Ive seen it on tv they put the chaser out then once they see
interest the guy casts then hopefully BOOM.

Alto Mare

Nice to hear you got out John, thanks for the report.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Great day on the water.  Congratulations.

Dominick

John thanks for the report.  Glad you had a good time.  The water looked rough.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

When a Tuna does the "death spiral" and heads down deep it takes all you can to pull him back up.

If you have ever caught a small Bonito with a spinning reel you have experienced some of the death spiral..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

broadway

Now that's a good day out on the water ...with a really good/ patient captain.
Happy to see you getting a full body workout in while doing what we love best,
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

coastal_dan

Thanks for sharing!  Very interesting about the flies...neat to hear varying tactics.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rancanfish

Great report!  I can't imagine fighting a fish I need to hand off.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 18, 2015, 02:29:46 AM
I came close once on a Tuna.  I never did see it.  It was doing the death spiral and I was gaining every time it started toward the boat.  After 35 minutes in 100 degree weather I was just about pooped.  The guy I was fishing with was 82 years old and was exhausted after getting a large ray fish to the boat.  I was close at that point when the fish broke off.  I was both relieved and upset at losing the fish.  Randy you have got to try big game fishing.  It is exhausting and exhilarating at the same time.  Dominick

As I said above, great report John. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 18, 2015, 02:29:46 AM

This was a classic case of being underguned.  If we had a fully rollered standup, on a reel with a slightly higher retrieve ratio, and a belt and harness..I think any of us could have handled these fish by ourselves.  I have caught much larger tuna on lighter line single-handedly, but the gear was properly matched and I had either a properly fitted standup harness/belt, or was in a fighting chair. 

These tuna are a blast to catch, and properly matched gear can really show you what they are made of.  These fish would have been landed in relatively short order on 130 class gear from the chair..but where's the fun in that? 

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.