14/0

Started by Shark Hunter, August 10, 2015, 11:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I remember a drawing you posted of that Mod early last year.
Are those sleeve pins with a press fit?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yup! Hole size 5/64, pin from the large gear sleeves.

I'm not knocking you or anything like that, I think you came a long way with these reels. I just want to mention that your cut outs are still a little wide, good, but still a little wide.
Here is one of mine:

you could clearly see that mine is narrower, a narrow grove will also help with the spring.
If you wanted to take a closer look, you should have that plate on your bench ;) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That looks like it came from the factory like that Sal.
No two of my plates are cut the same. I just sit the Gear sleeve in the middle and freehand it.
I need to get those bits you showed me. I have them on my watch list.
The ones I'm using are not as precise, but they remove material in a hurry.
I always appreciate any constructive criticism coming from you. ;)

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 29, 2015, 10:06:28 PM
That looks like it came from the factory like that Sal.
No two of my plates are cut the same. I just sit the Gear sleeve in the middle and freehand it.
I need to get those bits you showed me. I have them on my watch list.
The ones I'm using are not as precise, but they remove material in a hurry.
I always appreciate any constructive criticism coming from you. ;)

I still have to buy a set of those bits as well.  I have yet to double dog a reel.  I think I have a broken 14/0 headplate I might practice on first.  I was thinking it would be cool to have a jig made to aid with this process.  Honestly, I haven't had many requests from customers for a second dog on the 12 and 14/0s, and I guess I haven'y been pushing the upgrade.  I already spend too much time on each reel service.  Maybe if I had a jig, and could bust one out in under 30mins, I might offer the upgrade option for $15+parts or so?  I should probably double dog a personal reel first though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

John, this is custom work and you're doing a reel with the head plate costing anywhere from $50 to $75, if you do a 16/0, I won't even tell you what that plate will cost to replace.
15 dollars for the second dog is low, I wouldn't go any lower than $25 + the cost for the dog.

Daron, don't blame the tool, I've seen the beautiful job you did for Tom's plates, so I know you could do it if you wanted to.
Take your time, what's another 5 minutes ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 29, 2015, 09:53:19 PM
Yup! Hole size 5/64, pin from the large gear sleeves.

I'm not knocking you or anything like that, I think you came a long way with these reels. I just want to mention that your cut outs are still a little wide, good, but still a little wide.
Here is one of mine:

you could clearly see that mine is narrower, a narrow grove will also help with the spring.
If you wanted to take a closer look, you should have that plate on your bench ;) ;D

Beautiful work Sal.

May I ask?

Do you cut those freehand?

Do you make a depth stop or Jig?

thanks.

Alto Mare

Free hand and check frequently.
Here are the bits I use with my dremel, these last a long time:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130885906276?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
These bits do not cut anything that vibrates, so no worries if one touches your skin.
They're similar to the ones the Dentist uses in your mouth.

Sal

Shark Hunter

Alright,
The bit set is ordered.
John, the plate cutting isn't that difficult. Like Sal said, it would be expensive if you ruined them.
I don't look at it that way. I guess because I have cut dozens of them.
Sal taught me everything. Maybe that's why I feel so confident. ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I got into Sal's reel he sold me a while back. I let Tom H have the sleeve for his work that he does for us.
I noticed a few things that I haven't been doing on my reels.
The first is that the springs are cut to relieve a lot of the tension that I have been having trouble assembling without the use of duct tape. No tape was needed on assembling this reel from the Master.
Tom's ss sleeve and double dogs from Lee. Standard stack with Brass gear.
One of the dogs is shaved to make it alternating. It makes a lovely sound. ;D
All finished except for the handle and arm. This arm came with the reel, but the handle fit doesn't suit me.
Too much play for my liking. These handles are pretty available, but the bearings need oil and none of the screws have Loctite on them. I'm happy to put in back in the box for now.

Life is Good!