Little Jigmaster from Scratch -- Parts and Pieces

Started by foakes, February 14, 2016, 04:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Putting this Narrow Jigmaster together for a friend on this site.

Tib, Lee-Pros, Bryan's 5 stack, Alan's SS sleeve, Newell yoke, plus a lot of SS and magged.

Did a dry assembly for test and fit -- now will go back to rust proof the mag washers, properly grease, assemble, tune, and add one of Adam's stars.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Fred! A bit different than the usual! Looks great.
...............Lou

Aiala

Ye gods...! Fred could probably build a McMansion from leftover wood shavings and paper clips, LOL   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelhead_killer

How many magnets did you put in that little guy?  Looks like it you are holding back an elephant!
><)))">

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

pjstevko

Quote from: foakes on February 14, 2016, 04:51:08 PM
Putting this Narrow Jigmaster together for a friend on this site.

Tib, Lee-Pros, Bryan's 5 stack, Alan's SS sleeve, Newell yoke, plus a lot of SS and magged.

Did a dry assembly for test and fit -- now will go back to rust proof the mag washers, properly grease, assemble, tune, and add one of Adam's stars.

Best,

Fred

That's mine!!!!

Fred it looks great! Can't wait to see it in person...
Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 14, 2016, 05:14:28 PM
How many magnets did you put in that little guy?  Looks like it you are holding back an elephant!

I sent Fred a bunch of magnets but wasn't sure how many it would need/take to slow the spool down...
I'm terrible at casting these types of reels so I need all the help (magnets) I can get

bluefish69

Why did you use a Newell Yoke? Penn & Newell Yokes are completely different. You would then need a Newell Jack Plate.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 14, 2016, 05:15:46 PM
Good work Fred.
Silver, Purple and Blue?

Daron, you forgot Black (knob)

Nice job Fred, it brings back memories of the phsychedelic 60's. ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Quote from: bluefish69 on February 14, 2016, 07:05:44 PM
Why did you use a Newell Yoke? Penn & Newell Yokes are completely different. You would then need a Newell Jack Plate.

The yoke was a brand new old stock still in the package -- one that Carl Newell used to offer as a Penn upgrade many years ago -- found it in the back of a drawer.

Used some new old stock 500S parts because they were not brass --

On the magnets -- since it is an aluminum spool that is not magnetic -- and I really did not want to glue washers to the spool also -- we will just let the Lenz Principle of magnetic attraction as a non-magnetic metal conductor moves through the positive and negative alternating Eddy Fields -- slow down the spool.

The magnets are double stacked and alternating polarities.

They just stick to the washers -- so they can be partially removed, completely removed, or polarities switched around -- as the user feels is appropriate for the conditions.

This is not a Plinth Princess -- but it is a reel built to be put to use -- with a minimum of backlash and hopefully no birds nests when casting or dropping.

Good components -- but built with what is on hand with a mind towards staying within a budget.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Nice job on that reel Fred.  I always thought the 3-500s were chromed brass :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Fred, if this came from your "parts and pieces" I would LOVE to dig around in there ::) beautiful reel. Looks like it's gonna be able to handle just about anything casting. Nice work!!
luck is the residue of design.

Tiddlerbasher

mhc

Nice work Fred, it would be great to be able to pull a reel like that together from 'parts on hand' - but having seen a glimpse of your parts inventory on various posts here, there is probably no limit to what you could put together.

pjstevco - let us know how it casts.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

pjstevko

I can't wait to get my hands on this beauty!!!

I'm gonna have to take this down to the lake to practice casting before the big group outing in April!

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn