odd question.. drilling a spinning reel spool

Started by kawgirlval69, May 28, 2016, 05:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawgirlval69

has anyone drilled a spinning reel spool to add a bearing?  i dont see why its not possible, plus the upside is a smoother spool. the reason i ask is i have a spinning reel that i love (cheap that i upgraded) and the only negative is the spool sits on the shaft...no bearing.  id love to add 1 or 2 and there is room.  ideas?  thank you in advance

RowdyW

The spool doesn't turn when casting or retrieving. The rotor turns when retrieving. The spool only turns under line out drag conditions. There might be at least a bushing in the spool. Why make it easier for a fish to pull out line?

foakes

Hi Val --

Not sure what you mean, exactly.

Many spinning reels have bearings at the pinion gear attached to the rotating head.

However the spool and/or the spool shaft does not take a bearing, since they are fixed -- it does need to have a drag system to add resistance -- but no bearing there.

Maybe you could post a pic or two -- and restate your idea -- then someone could answer your question more accurately.

We are glad to help...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kawgirlval69

Quote from: RowdyW on May 28, 2016, 05:20:44 AM
The spool doesn't turn when casting or retrieving. The rotor turns when retrieving. The spool only turns under line out drag conditions. There might be at least a bushing in the spool. Why make it easier for a fish to pull out line?

why not?  aluminum spool to steel shaft - it can heat up..get crap in it and make the drag seem to pulse.. ..steel shaft to bearing-smooth when fish pulls drag and not as likely to pulse if you take care of it...

the whole idea of a good drag is how smooth it can be so the chance of break off from the dreaded pulse. so why not do all you can do.  its a flats fishing thing..lol  plus i love to make cheaper reels perform like high dollar. ;)

kawgirlval69

Quote from: foakes on May 28, 2016, 05:21:50 AM
Hi Val --

Not sure what you mean, exactly.

Many spinning reels have bearings at the pinion gear attached to the rotating head.

However the spool and/or the spool shaft does not take a bearing, since they are fixed -- it does need to have a drag system to add resistance -- but no bearing there.

Maybe you could post a pic or two -- and restate your idea -- then someone could answer your question more accurately.

We are glad to help...

Best,

Fred

the higher dollar spinning reels have a bearing or 3.  cheaper dont.  i upgraded an inshore quantum escalade(looks very similar to a smoke inshore) because its what i do..lol found it for 25 bucks brand new.  cut my own drag washers and upgraded the bushing to a bearing and serviced the stock with my speed grease i make.  it really stands toe to toe with the smoke except the spool just doesnt feel as smooth when a 30lb big bull red runs it 75 yards(i love to fish 15lb braid with 15lb flouro leader).  this spool has no bearing.  a 4x8x4 would be perfect.

hope that helps some..  :)

Marcq

This guy did a number on a 750ss, pretty cool  8)
Check part one and two

Marc..

kawgirlval69

Quote from: Marcq on May 28, 2016, 07:35:37 AM
This guy did a number on a 750ss, pretty cool  8)
Check part one and two

Marc..

and BOOM..  thats what i mean about adding a bearing.. i dont have a lathe but i do have a drill press. 

i love what he did.. made that reel into what he needed.. 

thank you

Marcq

You can do a lot with a drill press, just need some imagination  8)

Marc..

RowdyW

Quote from: kawgirlval69 on May 28, 2016, 07:17:47 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on May 28, 2016, 05:20:44 AM

why not?  aluminum spool to steel shaft - it can heat up..get crap in it and make the drag seem to pulse.. ..steel shaft to bearing-smooth when fish pulls drag and not as likely to pulse if you take care of it...

the whole idea of a good drag is how smooth it can be so the chance of break off from the dreaded pulse. so why not do all you can do.  its a flats fishing thing..lol  plus i love to make cheaper reels perform like high dollar. ;)
If your spool is pulsing it is to tight of clearance on the spool to spool shaft or the problem might be with the drag washers. Just get a reamer a couple of thousands larger then the spool shaft & ream it for clearance. If the spool is loose enough it shouldn't pulse with the proper lube.  Also you might be using a type of grease that is not slick enough. If your problem is "crap" getting into the spool shaft why not install seals top & bottom of the spool. A bearing is not a seal.

Alto Mare

We talked about this a while back:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5564.msg45519#msg45519

A brass bushing and Delrin washer for under the spool might do better under certain conditions.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Quote from: handi2 on May 28, 2016, 11:07:55 PM
Is it a Fierce reel?

Quote from: kawgirlval69 on May 28, 2016, 07:27:39 AM
i upgraded an inshore quantum escalade(looks very similar to a smoke inshore) because its what i do..lol found it for 25 bucks brand new.  cut my own drag washers and upgraded the bushing to a bearing and serviced the stock with my speed grease i make.  it really stands toe to toe with the smoke except the spool just doesnt feel as smooth when a 30lb big bull red runs it 75 yards(i love to fish 15lb braid with 15lb flouro leader).  this spool has no bearing.  a 4x8x4 would be perfect.

hope that helps some..  :)

that answers your question Keith.

As for drilling the spool for a bearing, I dont think that your issue arises from the lack of a bearing or bushing in the spool.  I have many reels with no bearings or even bushings in the spool, and a jerky drag is not an issue with any of them. 

You described the issue as a steady pulsing of the drag as a fish is taking line, right?  The most likely culprit there drag washers of an uneven thickness, or the friction washers being out of round and/or have the hole off center.  I think the problem is in the drag stack, and I dont think a bearing in the spool will do anything to alleviate it. 

handi2

I've had plenty of Penn Fierce, Sargus, and Battle reels come in with the spool almost fused to the spool shaft. The Fierce is the worst because the inner lining of the spool is not brass it's a composite material.

The others that were fused was just lack of maintenance. Salt build up and corrosion.

Sometimes the only way to get the spool off is to remove the shaft out of the reel with the spool attached. Oil it heavy and knock it out.

The Quantum and other reels you can remove the nylon bushing and replace with a bearing but its no big deal. You still have to keep it oiled.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL