A few 40 + lbers

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 05, 2017, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I have been getting out but no time to post.

The rip yesterday was bad. 6 foot rollers, tight and cresting. Very close together made it extremely hairy!

It called for a different strategy. I had Richard out with me so that was more helpful but still very, very stressful.

We switched to green/gold plugs, best color if bunker are around an loaded them on the lead core rods. We would get as close to the rip as possible and turn the boat and let the lines swing into the rip to stem the tide until it tried to suck us back into the white water. The rip was like a washing machine and it was nearly impossible to figure any kind of pattern to the waves.

There were 2 boats that were literally on top of us and following so closely it became dangerous. I finally told them if they didn't back off I would get on the horn and report them to the Coast Guard.

4 1/2 hrs resulted in 15 fish and they were all slobs. We dropped one close to the boat that had to be in the mid 50's. Hook finally pulled and I think it was a combination of the tide and heavy wave action and a very big fish. I hate to loose a big one like that but if I at least get to see it, Its all good.

The wind died slightly and so did the tide and the bite! We got into a back eddy in the outer bay and the albies were all over the top. These were running between 6 to 10 lbs of pure rocket fuel. Although they're not good for much of anything, its a handsome fish and unbelievably strong on light tackle.

Water temps were the most stable I've seen all year, (69.6 to 69.9).

By the way the fish were 40 and 43 lbs. One was badly hooked and the other one wouldn't pop. All the rest were released without difficulty except for one more.

Gracie had made some great sandwiches which we demolished back at the dock ( genoa salami, prosciutto, capacolla, provolone ), and spiced olive oil. At that point if we could have gotten someone to drive us home?????
I was beat, and both of us were a bit stressed out. All in all it was a great morning and the good Lord saw fit to let us try it again!

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

alantani

wow!  we almost never see stripers that big out here!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Awesome catch in tough conditions. Never caught or even eaten a Striped Bass as they aren't in my area except a hybrid freshwater "sunshine Bass". They are on my wish list for sure.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Nice, those are some slugs
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

Nice fish and great job,,, big fish,,,, smart fish,,,  like to kick the hook  :o

Alto Mare

Nice fish Lou, glad you had a great morning.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Good job, Lou!

Those are great fish.

Thanks for posting your pics and story.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Lou.
I am waiting for my Chance to hook a Big Slob with teeth. ;)
The only one we caught last trip went about 60lbs tops. Just a baby.
It still cut my hand leadering the line.
It is finally healed.
Thanks for taking us along, and congrats on those pigs. ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Nice stripers. Those are big by west coast standards.

I'm glad you got out and enjoying the fishing among all of your handle building.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna

Those are big by east coast standards too. Nice fish.

Tiddlerbasher

Hardy Boy

Great Fish !! Those are on my bucket list. I 've always wanted to catch one since I first saw one in a magazine as a kid. Do they fight hard with any long runs or jumps ? The Chinook salmon I have caught over 40 lbs always have done some incredible long runs with the very odd jump before dogging down deep. I would love to fish them on the East Coast but may have to settle for trying for one on the Left Coast one day.

Nice job !
Todd

STRIPER LOU

Hey Hardy Boy.

They are good fighters. The cooler waters of new England puts them at their best. Although smaller fish may jump on occasion, they are mostly down, deep fighters. Big fish are all muscle and broad tails. They can really peel off some line. When jerking bucktails and hooking up to a big girl its like coming up against a stone wall. I've had 40+ lbers turn you around when they hit.

Over 50 years of catching them and it never grows old. Hope you get a chance to partake!

Regard's,  ..  Lou

festus

Congrats, in my opinion 40+ pound stripers are big no matter the location.

l've never caught a salt water striper. Most stripers l have caught have been by accident in freshwater while fishing for black bass or catfish. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency began stocking striped bass here in the late 1950s. The state record is over 65 lbs and 50 pounders are common here. We also have hybrids, aka Cherokee Bass to the locals.