Penn 113 Metal Senator 4/0

Started by OldSchool, March 04, 2014, 03:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Yes.    https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/Penn113MTL.aspx#specs

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Many design features are not incorporated into their new reels, especially the Baja Special.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 04, 2014, 03:39:31 PM
Many design features are not incorporated into their new reels, especially the Baja Special.

Bryan, do you mean the new Baja's have some design differences between the old and new. And if so what are they. I was thinking of getting a Baja.
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Sorry...I mean are incorporated in their newer reel designs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DaBigOno

Quote from: OldSchool on March 04, 2014, 03:16:17 PM

Is this a genuine factory built Penn reel..???

Not only genuine, but rare.   I think it's gonna go over 300
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

and I had a chance to buy 4 at a clearance price of $125 each...

Mandelstam

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 04, 2014, 07:55:46 PM
and I had a chance to buy 4 at a clearance price of $125 each...

Those are the things that keep nagging at you...

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

OldSchool

Thanks guys, all great information. Im thinking Dabigono is right and it will be over $300. There was one in December 2013 that went for $265....probably a better option when the $AU was closer to parody but recently we have been striving hard to drop our dollar value....not good for Penn parts or reels since the best stuff is usually in the US.

handi2

I bought one a few months ago for just about the same price. It's still sitting on the shelf. I haven't had time to even look inside but it's just about the same as the Baja Specials I have.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Nuvole

Why did Penn stop producing them?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Nuvole on March 05, 2014, 04:53:43 PM
Why did Penn stop producing them?

Penn could not sell enough of them to keep them in their line up is my guess. IMO their a bit big and cluncky/heavy, for a lack of a better term. They came out with the Torque line right about the same time the Metals went away. Even the first generation Torques were on the heavy side, built like a tank and the weight showed it, but were made lighter on the second generation. Both the Baja and the Metal were around 10 years too late to gain any market share. Penn shyed away from new saltwater designs for a while but came back big time when the Torque's then Fathom's then Squall's hit the shops.

OldSchool

QuoteWhy did Penn stop producing them?

From what I understand from doing a bit of internet research is the production cost was prohibitive within the USA. I believe RRP was to be $229 but needed to increase by $50.00 to remain sustainable. I did see comments suggesting the reel was ugly and generally didn't appeal to the market...these are however re quotes on various peoples opinions.

The reel seems to report well however IMO I think its a practical workhorse and doesn't have the "bling" factor, but to me I think its more appealing in its simple robust design with an industrial no nonsense look. Unfortunately I think the majority of people rely on the countless $$$ spent on advertising to tell them which reel they want.

Interestingly this reel was offered at $300 BIN in mid February and didn't sell...

Mandelstam

I think it's a great looking reel!

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Nuvole

Quote from: OldSchool on March 05, 2014, 05:22:18 PM
QuoteWhy did Penn stop producing them?

From what I understand from doing a bit of internet research is the production cost was prohibitive within the USA. I believe RRP was to be $229 but needed to increase by $50.00 to remain sustainable. I did see comments suggesting the reel was ugly and generally didn't appeal to the market...these are however re quotes on various peoples opinions.

The reel seems to report well however IMO I think its a practical workhorse and doesn't have the "bling" factor, but to me I think its more appealing in its simple robust design with an industrial no nonsense look. Unfortunately I think the majority of people rely on the countless $$$ spent on advertising to tell them which reel they want.

Interestingly this reel was offered at $300 BIN in mid February and didn't sell...

Interesting indeed, this was offer at tackle direct few years back at US$179.99 with freebies

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wna3Cn0zau0J:https://www.facebook.com/TackleDirect/posts/120592697980409+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I've just purchase the last one at amazon Japan at around US$180

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HARFE1dUD9gJ:www.amazon.co.jp/PENN-SENATOR-METAL-REEL-113MTL/dp/B00565TOZG+&cd=31&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Another one offer at ebay, current bid US$249.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-113-mtl-4-0-metal-senator-machined-aluminum-stainless-gears-/321337588289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad1367a41