Surfmaster Line up

Started by Shark Hunter, March 16, 2014, 08:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I'm getting all my Surfmasters up to par. I have all four, the 250, 200, 150 and 100. I made a sticky on my 200 build. I tore into the 250 this evening.
Its in great shape. No corrosion. A perfect Donor for a Silver Tiburon Conversion.
Prepping the frame, I am upgrading the Handle to a Larger Jigmaster Oarnge one I have.
250, 200, 150 frame. Awaiting parts to complete, Two nice 180's on the right, a nice 100 and a 155.
I ran into another issue with these Tiburon frames. The clamps don't fit. The clamps holes aren't big enough to go over the studs. I ran into this problem previously with a frame I bought from Alan. I emailed Gregg (Chowderpuff) to make him aware of this issue. Ugh! :-[
As you can see, the clamp on the left has the appropriate size holes for the studs. The one on the right does not.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I talked to Gregg. He told me the clamp is not suppose to go over the studs. When you mount it to a rod, The clamp will work like it is. Why didn't Tiburon tell me that?
Lee, The sleeve is the same on the 250 as the other Surfmasters. I wanted to make sure before I put in an order. I also notice on these that there is a burr on top of these brass sleeves that has to be filed down before you can remove the drags. Its on the flat sides right on top. I don't know if this was a factory defect, or from tightening the handle nut too tight?
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I've had to file a few sleeves because of that. I think it is either from a smashed handle nut (sounds like me) or the handle itself moving around on the stanchion.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 16, 2014, 08:36:13 PM
II also notice on these that there is a burr on top of these brass sleeves that has to be filed down before you can remove the drags. Its on the flat sides right on top. I don't know if this was a factory defect, or from tightening the handle nut too tight?

It's from tightening, I see it often.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Scored me another nice Surfmaster 250. Old for sure. Has new drags. I've never seen this color handle before?
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

If that is wood, I have seen one before and it is my favorite.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Surfrat

The handle looks like bakelite or wood. Daron, how about putting a green handle on it? :D I love green. What will you be using these surfmasters to catch? Is the larger orange handle a penn 24-66? Good luck!

Shark Hunter

The handles not wood. Its Bakelite, but is sure looks like wood. Surfrat, I hope to catch some nice Blue fish and AJ's with these Surfmasters.. Prime Shark Bait for the 14/0. ;)
Yes, the orange handle is a 24-66.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Had a little trouble with this 150. Ordered the wrong spool. Learned a jigmaster pinion won't work on a Surfmaster. The 155 spool won't fit the 150. Thanks to Harry, Sal, Lee, Bryan for showing me the light! ;)
Cut some custom washers from Wallace's sheet, Bryans 5 stack stainless washers and a ss sleeve.
All buttoned up with a frame from Gregg, Spool from Harry and a little more knowledge from the Boys. ;D
Life is Good!

harryk3616

nice work daron, a reel beauty, use it in the best of health.

Surfrat

I love the green handle! Is this one for the bluefish or AJ? I like how you keep the original handles on your surfmasters!  ;D

Shark Hunter

Yes Surfrat. Hopefully some Bonita too. ;) I like the old school counterbalanced handles. I think it gives the reel a little character with all the mods. ;D
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Busted open the 100 this evening. I noticed a problem right away. The main gear is brass and there is some slop around the sleeve.
I thought maybe I had a wrong gear installed, so I grabbed my closest Surfmaster to compare. The 250, it also had a brass gear, but I immediately saw the problem. The insert was missing.
I don't have a spare gear, It is nice outside and I have the day off. Lets cut some drags.
I cut five complete sets, with four sets of Bryan's washers. I didn't waste one. I need more sheet. To be continued. I have a toilet to fix. ::)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Wow. You got a lot to do and a lot done.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain