Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Big Tim on March 26, 2014, 09:51:40 PM

Mel: Will do...As far as the star goes just order with your stuff. It wont take much to change later & I can pay when you order or you can bring it on the trip with you?

Tim

sounds good...

Big Tim

what about the drag kit...Here or ebay? I see alot of cf drag kits online

Keta

Alan or directly from Dawn at Smooth Drag.  Dawn is fast and easy to deal with.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Big Tim on March 26, 2014, 10:00:54 PM

Drag kits for what reel?

If you are referring to carbon fiber drag replacements, I'd order directly from Dawn at SmoothDrag.

If you are looking for drag upgrades for your Penn reels that use a 5-60 gears, 113, 113H, 114H, 115L, Jigmasters, I have sets available.  I also have sets available for every type of Newell reel available.  See http://alantani.com/index.php?board=62.0

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bryan Young's 5+1 is a drag kit, metal and CF washers...sorry i should have been more specific.

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 26, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

Bryan Young's 5+1 is a drag kit, metal and CF washers...sorry i should have been more specific.

Bryan: I want these...First ever modified reel...Penn 112H

Tim

Ron Jones

Tim,
Your reel has the same drag as the Jigmaster. Everything I hear about Bryan's kit is that it is awesome.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

You will be happy you did this.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

I'm getting geeked up just talking about it!!! I see 5.0:1 gears online as well? Do I need to do anything special for that? I here you need to drill the pinion and enlarge the the groove a bit to fit the plate?

Tim

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tim,

i have Alan C.'s (Pro Challenger) 5:1 SS main and pinion gears in my 112H. it's not highly recommended if you are not going to push the drag to >15 lbs. but at the end of the day it's up to you... :)

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 26, 2014, 10:56:25 PM
Tim,

i have Alan C.'s (Pro Challenger) 5:1 SS main and pinion gears in my 112H. it's not highly recommended if you are not going to push the drag to >15 lbs. but at the end of the day it's up to you... :)

Thanks Mel...I will most likely pass on the gears? The 112H is narrower than the jigmaster and should get a higher rate of retrieve anyway.

Tim

Keta

Spool diameter will change retrieve but spool width will not.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on March 26, 2014, 11:22:24 PM
Spool diameter will change retrieve but spool width will not.

Keta: I should have said narrower & taller..I got lots to learn...Thank you

Ron Jones

While I am waiting on Alan's 5:1 gears for my Jigmasters, my 3/0 sized reel will stay 4:1 with steel gears. It has worked for many, many people for decades.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Big Tim on March 26, 2014, 11:00:58 PM

...The 112H is narrower than the jigmaster and should get a higher rate of retrieve anyway.

Tim

and/or crank it faster... :)